| Zero |

When we are young, we often dream about growing up and falling in love and living a happily ever after. It's every little girl's dream to find her prince charming who treats her like a princess that would love her as if she were life itself. A love like that, it's once in a life time. It's rare and it's irreplaceable. 

Losing a love like that is worse than death.

Only some are able to find that love, one so sacred it nearly hurts when you touch it. Which is funny because a love like that is intangible. It's so rare that when it's found some don't understand it at all. 

Then if your unlucky enough to lose it, it feels like you can't breath. It's worse than drowning, than feeling the water fill your lungs. That would be mercy compared to the emptiness and numbness.

Regret is the worst  feeling of it all, wishing you did something different to change the outcome. Yet the fear is what roots the person down, and some people are strong enough to face that fear and turn to change the outcome. Those are the people to be envious of, because I'm a coward who's too scared to look back now.

Lucy sighed looking around her apartment that was nearly packed away now that the guild had been disbanded, glancing at the short transcript that had been tossed to the side she once let Levy read when the blue haired girl found it on accident. It was probably the most personal piece of writing she ever had done, even if it was short..

It held all of her anguish and pain from that time that built up, until one night when it was storming in Magnolia that her dam of emotions overfilled and she just wrote away. She could remember the pain in chest feeling as fresh as the day it happened with each letter written down, like a tsunami that couldn't be stopped.

Even when she had nothing left to write, she cried her heart out knowing what she had done, given up and left behind. The single most precious thing that was taken from her at the age of seventeen, and it killed Lucy nearly every morning she woke and every night she slept.

Levy had been right, it was a tragic story.

The sound of a soft knock at her door brought Lucy out of her recollections and shifted her attention to the door. It was late at night, so who was at her door now? Frowning and grabbing her spirit keys in case, Lucy cautiously walked to her door and opened it. Only to be surprised to find a young handmaid bowing her head in respect. It made Lucy's stomach churn with apprehension.

"Lady Heartfilia, I'm Iris. I've come on the behalf of Lady Byron." Iris says, giving Lucy a small smile that held sadness.

Lucy tensed up, looking at the girl with brunette hair that looked at her with sympathetic blue eyes. That was a last name she never expected to hear again, not for a longer time since the last, seven years ago to be exact.

"Has something happened?" Lucy questioned, hating how easily it was to remember her tongue of a heiress.

Iris bowed her head again, "I'm afraid so." She looked up again. "Lady Byron sent me and trusted me enough to task me with telling you. A few days ago Lord Kyou had an incident which Lady Byron believe was assassination when he went on a business trip that was only supposed to be for two days. Not much is known on the situation, but Lady Byron fears that it was an inside conspiracy that endangers Lord Kyou's daughter as well."

Lucy's brown eyes widen, her heartbeat picking up in speed,"Is she here with you?"

"She's asleep with the guard Lord Kyou entrusted his life too." Iris gave Lucy a smile. "Lord Kyou loved you very much so, as Lady Byron wanted me to tell you. There was never a day he didn't think of you or told the young heiress of her mother. Yet it doesn't change why I am here. Lady Byron wants you to keep the young miss in your care because you are her birth mother and you've been robbed of that right long enough."