Back When We Froze

"Italy is dead".

Germany stood, frozen.

What?

He looked Romano in his dark eyes and searched for some sign of this being a joke.

"Vhat?"

"You heard me, stupid bastardo" he hissed through clenched teeth, clearly on the verge of tears.

Germany's ice blue eyes were wide from shock. He felt himself sway slightly, and steadied himself upon the doorframe.

He opened his mouth to speak, but breathy whimpers just came.

"The funeral is in two days. Be there, fuckass."

With that, the angry Italian turned to storm off. Germany shakily shut the door, still processing the information. What? How? When? Where?

He leaned against the wall and slid to the floor. Running his fingers through his hair.

'No. No. No. No. No. No!' he thought frantically, 'this can't be true!'.

Tears formed in his eyes and slowly seeped out.

"Italy" he whispered before he turned into a bawling mess.

The large man cried until the wee hours of the morning. He cried until he ran out of tears. He cried until he was too broken to shed another tear.

He stayed still and didn't move a muscle. His life was over now~all meaning now gone.

What was his meaning for life now that Italy was gone? What was left?

Germany eyelids drooped with exhaustion.

He slowly closed them, praying that he would never wake up.

•••

Much to his misfortune, he woke up later. He was surprised to find that he was in his bed. He sat up in confusion, then realized that Prussia was there.

"Hey" he said, "I heard zhe news".

Germany's eyes widened. It was suddenly so much realer now that other people knew.

Germany felt the hollow hole in his chest that had been carved yesterday right where his heart was. He felt numb.

This can't be real.