Coffee Shop Cutie

It was 7:00 on a Monday morning. I was seated at my usual table in Starbucks, in the corner, beside the glass wall, sipping on my freshly brewed coffee and eating gluten-free pastries. I usually don't get out of bed before 8 AM but I had a meeting in an hour and I cannot miss my morning coffee. I was reading a book to pass the time and got so engrossed in it that I didn't notice him enter the shop.

"One grande iced white chocolate mocha, please," he said to the barista.

There was something in his voice that sounded so... sexy. I looked up from my book and saw a tall guy dressed in a hoodie, sweat pants and running shoes. I could only see the right side of his face but he had blonde hair and a pale face. I hope his face matches his voice. I was pretty sure the barista was trying to flirt. I've been coming to this shop for a year and I know her, and I know that she was on flirt mode. She was smiling more than necessary and was making small talk. Maybe he really is cute.

I watched him as he waited for his drink. Too bad, they didn't shout his name. Probably because he was already standing there and nobody else was in line. He then made his way to the table beside mine and sat across from me. He put on his earphones and started sipping his coffee. I tried to make out his name from the cup but I couldn't see it. He was looking outside, as if in deep thought.

Both of our tables had two chairs each but neither of us had company, so I had a full view of him. He had obviously just come from a run or jog. His hair was slightly ruffled and his face was a little sweaty, just enough for it to look as if it was glistening. His nose was a little pointed and his lips were a pale pink. He had a few days' growth of beard running on either side of his jaws to his chin. He wasn't fat nor was he thin. His clothes were a little loose - I couldn't tell if he had muscle-y shoulders or arms or abs or thighs. Lord, I hope he does. That would so match his pretty face. Mommy likey.

I would've stayed just to look at him longer but didn't want to risk getting late for my meeting. I gathered my things, got up and walked out the door. He didn't even glance at me when I walked past him. I hope I run into this cutie again some time.

The following morning, I arrived in Starbucks at 8:30, which was usually the time I got there. I ordered my usual and proceeded to my favorite spot. That's when I noticed that the cutie from the previous day was seated on the same spot. It must be destiny. I placed the tray on my table and tried to get comfortable. Cutie from yesterday was wearing basically the same thing, just in different colors. He also seemed to have the same drink. We are so meant to be - sitting on the same spots, having a signature drink. He appeared more relaxed this morning, probably because he's had more than enough time to rest after his run. I wonder if he got in here the same time.

Before I could probably learn any more information from observing him, he got up and headed out the door. Just my luck. I watched him walk out the shop and cross the street. I tried to look where he was headed but a bus passed by. By the time the bus was out of view, so was he. Damn.

That night, I tossed and turned in bed, my mind occupied with the coffee shop cutie. I barely slept but I set my alarm for 7 AM. I was on a mission.

I had to drag my sorry ass out of bed the next day, having had only a few hours of sleep. But that's what the coffee for is, right? I rushed and tried to get extra pretty, hoping that I'd see him again.

When I got to Starbucks at 7:35, he was already on the counter, placing his order. I stood behind him and eavesdropped. Yes, I know, but who wouldn't, right? Again, I was on a mission. To do what, exactly, I wasn't sure. But I did know that I wanted to somehow interact with him.

"One grande iced white chocolate mocha to go, please." My face fell. Why universe? Why do you hate me?

"Scott, right?" said Esther, the flirty barista. I couldn't see her face since his back was blocking my view but I could tell that Esther was smiling extra wide. One, okay universe, I'm sorry I said that. Thank you for letting me know his name. Two, Scott sounds nice. Three, Esther, stop it.

"Yes. Thank you." He paid for his drink and walked to the other end of the counter and waited. By the time my drink was in my hand, he was out of the shop. I decided to take my coffee home. I sulked all morning. Thankfully, work kept me busy all afternoon and evening. I crashed into bed that night, falling asleep early, most likely from tiredness and lack of sleep the previous night.

I woke up to a gloomy Thursday morning. I didn't feel like getting coffee but I couldn't miss the chance of seeing Scott. I arrived at Starbucks the same time I did the previous day. When I stepped inside, I checked his usual spot. Not there. I looked around, still no sign of him. I got my coffee and tried to get comfortable in my favorite spot. I was practically staring at the door, willing him to come in. After 30 minutes of waiting and no Scott in sight, I decided to go home, feeling defeated.

It's a stupid mission and the universe might be telling me to stop being stupid.

On Friday morning, I stayed at home and made my own coffee. I had those just-add-water powdered coffee (bought from Starbucks). I immersed myself in work all day and afternoon, and spent the night marathoning movies. It did help to get Scott out of my mind.

I was feeling better Saturday morning. I slept in and so I arrived at the coffee shop later than usual. Upon seeing me, Esther waved. She didn't usually do that.

"I was starting to think you wouldn't come for the 2nd day in a row. Your coffee's getting cold!" she said.

"I haven't even ordered yet. I'll get the usual, though." I brought out my wallet and looked for my card.

"Save it. This one's on Mr. Gorgeous. This is the third cup I've prepared, and the third one he's paid for. You took forever to get here. He's been waiting," she said, pointing to the guy seated in the corner. In my table. He sat on the chair opposite to mine and his back was turned to me. He wore a black beanie, white shirt, and denim pants. I couldn't tell who he was.

"I am so jealous!" Esther added before handing me my coffee. "It's your usual. He asked what you always ordered."

I took the cup. Honestly I felt a little confused. Then I noticed there was something written on the coffee sleeve. "Would you like to join me for coffee? - Scott"

Scott. SCOTT. It's Scott. How dare you play with my feelings, universe. But OHMYGOD, THANK YOU.

I walked to my seat, talking my time, telling myself to play it cool.

He looked up when I walked past him. I sat down opposite him and placed the coffee in between us. I didn't know what to say, so I just smiled and said, "Uhm, hi."

He smiled back at me. Wow, pearly white teeth. "I didn't see you yesterday. I thought I'd also miss you today," he said.

He missed me. I know he didn't mean that he missed me like MISSED ME but still.

"I'm sorry if I'm being a little too forward, but I've been seeing you the past few days. I was hoping to get to know you." Then he blushed.

YES, UNIVERSE. YES!

"I'm Scott," he said, extending his hand.

"Thank you for the coffee and yes, I'd like to get to know you, too. Hi, I'm Mitch," I said, taking his hand.