1

I've always wondered what it was like to live in the unknown, to not be conscious of when exactly your time would come, but knowing it would happen anyway.

I've read books about what it was like back then, how people would die at the hands of fate, or even themselves, and it shocked me.

How could people live with such uncertainty?

Today I think about the subject more than ever, because today is the day I get my date, something I've been waiting for my entire life.

"Get your elbows off the table." My father commands, and I bite my tongue before doing what he asks, not wanting to spit back fire which will start only another argument between us.

His gray beard is overgrown, and I have to look away when food gets caught in it, afraid I may get sick from the sight.

My mother clears her throat, "are you ready for today?" She asks, clearly feeling the tension.

My mother has always been the talker, forcing conversation at the dinner table, or just about anywhere. She always felt the need to be talking about something, when quite frankly sometimes silence was needed. To this day I don't understand how her and my father married, him being an introvert and her the complete opposite.

"I'm more excited than nervous, the ball should be interesting." My tone is more sarcastic than I meant and so I don't continue talking, not wanting to as I may feel the need to pick a fight.

My father places his fork down harshly, "you will be happy at the ball with Gregory Jones, you will dance with him, talk to him, and if you're lucky he may court you again after this and you will end up with a good husband from a wealthy family."

I laugh bitterly, "do you ever think that wealth isn't everything? My own happiness does exist, you do know that right?"

Just as expected my mother cuts in, "let's not talk about this right now, a certain someone has to make herself look even more stunning for tonight."

I glare at my father a second longer before pushing away from the table, quickly walking to my room before slamming the door, putting my back to it as I immediately hear my parents beginning to argue.

This happens more often than not, the two of us having our differences on a regular basis. It has worn out my mother, I see it in the increasing amounts of creases on her forehead. I'm their only child and they can barely get through a meal with me without a fight, it takes its toll.

A knock on my door startles me, "who is it?" I ask.

"It's me." The deepness of my father's voice tells me it's him, but I don't open the door, and after a few seconds I hear him sigh. "I'm sorry Kira, let's enjoy this evening." With that I hear his boots clanking against the hardwood floor as he walks away.

* * *

My dark hair falls in waves, the blue eyes looking back at me in the mirror almost unrecognizable from all the makeup my mother has used on me.

"You look gorgeous," my mother says as she kisses the top of my head before ducking down and fixing the bottom of the flowing white dress we picked out a few months ago for the occasion.

"I don't want to marry Gregory, I don't even want to be seen with him tonight." I confess, feeling ashamed for it but only speaking the truth, Gregory not being one I could ever see myself with.

My mother stands up before smiling at me, "I know this, but you have to do as your father wishes, without him we wouldn't have such a lavish lifestyle."

"Exactly, we don't need anymore money, so why must I get Gregory to marry me?"

She fixes a strand of my hair, "every woman needs a man to help support her, and with whatever time you're given you'll want to live the best lifestyle you can get."

I roll my eyes, "I don't need a man to have a good life, I can support myself."

Mother laughs, "you are young and do not understand, but your husband will be the one to provide everything for you, you need to find a good one while you're young, and Gregory is a fine choice."

I say nothing more to her, not in agreement, but also not in the mood to talk back. My mother puts a crystal necklace on me, closing the clasp before whispering under her breath, "perfect."

"We better get going." I say before walking out of the room, going downstairs to find none other than Gregory looking at himself in the mirror, seeming to be pinching his face.

I scrunch my nose, "what are you doing?"

He turns, startled. He quickly pushes his large framed glasses up the bridge of his nose, "I've been having problems with my facial bumps lately, sorry for being impolite." His voice is deep, much deeper than you'd ever think it would be.

He wears a typical black and white tux, and when he walks over he is much shorter than me without heels on compared to when they're off, his height not his strong suit. "You look marvelous." He says before looping my arm through his.

I hear laughter from the main hall, and as if on cue Gregory and my own parents come walking out, all of them telling us how great we look, individually and as a couple.

They tell us to have fun, and Gregory's parents give him his date gift, a watch made from gold. My own gift is already around my neck, and I can't help but look down at it when he's thanking his parents.

"Well you all better be heading off then, be safe." My mother says, her eyes filling with tears.

Parents do not go to the ceremony, it is for the new generation to celebrate the time they've lived and receive how much time they will have left. When they get home their family will know their fate, and that way there aren't mobs of outraged parents over how much time their child was given.

I don't think much as Gregory walks me outside of my house, both of us getting into his car before he drives us to the ceremony in silence.

Once we arrive I think the night will be hopelessly boring, but clearly I had no idea what was to come.

-

thank you to @harrysweatpants for the cover xx