A Vory's Sun

Little did you realize all those months ago when a fourteen-year-old pregnant Russian prostitute came through your hospital with a placental abruption that your life would inexplicably change. Nikolai Luzhin was not what he appeared to be. However the real man underneath the tattoos and violence was still beyond you. For a member of the Vory v Zakone he had a conscience. A heart.

Somehow you'd fallen in love with him.

You didn't expect him to return the sentiment. That was never what you expected. Within the Vory you knew they were bound to forsake their families and couldn’t have wives or children. Which meant no love, no girlfriends. But you also didn’t expect him to march you to the train station and put you on a train to Edinburgh. When you were sure he was gone you got right off that train and went back to your flat.

That was a week ago and you hadn’t seen or heard from him. Either he didn’t know you never left or he simply didn’t care.

With probably the millionth forlorn sigh you’d expelled since you last saw him you fumbled with your keys trying to get them in the door. There was no warning, you didn’t even hear anyone behind you, but a familiar tattooed hand closed over yours and took the keys from you.

“You do not listen.” Nikolai’s voice was deadly quiet and he didn’t even look at you as he put the right key into the lock and turned it. He pushed the door open and held it until you stepped inside.

You pressed your lips into your teeth and looked at him. The man was immaculate as always. Hair smoothed back, overcoat with it's fine lines, suit perfect, leather gloves on, expression giving nothing away. His back was to you as he secured the door. His demeanor and the fact that he was slowly and deliberately locking all the locks, looking out the window while he removed his gloves, and making sure the flat was secure should have scared you. For some reason you couldn’t manage to be scared when he was around. Not because he wasn’t a dangerous or deadly man, he was both of those in spades. It was simply that you knew he wouldn’t hurt you. How you knew that you couldn’t say but you did.

Finally he turned to look at you and stood there, one tattooed hand loosely covering the other holding his gloves, an eyebrow raised in mild amusement. “You do not listen and now you do not speak?”

“You mean I didn’t obey, right?”

His eyes narrowed and his head tilted to the side as he hummed briefly in consideration. “Obey? Is that what you think this is? That I am angry because you do not obey?” He said a few things in Russian you didn’t recognize and when he switched back to English he was definitely angry. “This is not about obey! Do you want to be killed?” His hand reached out to grip your shoulder and shake you just enough to catch your attention.

“What? Of course not Nikolai. That’s a ridiculous question.”

“Then why you stay?” He rolled his lips over his teeth like he usually did when something you said didn’t make sense to him.

“Because I don’t want to leave my life here.” You fisted your hands on your hips and watched as his head tilted back just slightly and his eyes swept over you. “I didn’t want to leave you behind. Even if you don’t want me.”

“Solnyshka, I am no good for you. And you are no longer safe here.”

The use of that simple Russian endearment made both your heart constrict and your pussy clench at the same time. How did he manage to do this to you every damn time you saw him. “Why?” It was a simple question. One he’d always refused to answer and this time it seemed to enrage him.

His agitation was evident by the set of his eyes and purse of his lips. “Why? Because if the Vory find out about you, that I care more than just a simple fuck?”