It's In A Name (A Short Story)

It's In A Name

It's In A Name

I remember that day very well. My cousins and I were together with our families for Thanksgiving. Just like any other young kids on Thanksgiving, we were bored. So, we decided to play hide and seek outside. My thirteen year old cousin, Conner, was the person who had to find us, us being my two twin cousins, Sarah and Justin, who were ten, my youngest cousin Spencer, who was seven, and me, Anna. I was only eight at the time so as you could imagine I was very in to the game. I ran through the grass on my grandma's lot stealthily. I avoided being seen by the others who were playing. I didn't want anyone to know where my hiding place was.

Little did I know, someone else was planning on this being their hiding place. This "place" was my grandma's old barn that was not in use anymore, just on the other side of a cluster of trees. I walked slowly towards the rusty barn. At the time I paid no attention to what was around me, I just focused on the barn, getting inside and sitting in the corner where no one would find me.

The barn was pretty big, and it had old creaky doors to match. The paint was fading and inside it reeked of animals. The roof was practically falling apart, which was good, because I could actually see once I was inside. Hay still remained on the ground, so it provided a comfy place to sit. I curled up in the corner that was in shade and that was closest to the door so that when Conner walked in he wouldn't see me.

I sat there for about ten minutes until I heard a rustling noise outside. I quieted my breathing, expecting Conner to come barging through the doors. Instead the rustling noise just got louder... and louder. Eventually the rustling turned into a faint voice. As the voice got louder it became more distinct. It was a man's voice, clearly talking to someone, except the answers were so faint I couldn't even hear them. He must've been on the phone. I didn't recognize him as one of the family members, though. The man stopped talking altogether and burst through the door so suddenly I jumped. Thanking God that he didn't here me, I watched as he walked in as if he owned the place. He was carrying something that looked like a leash. I stared at his face, studying his features.

He was tanned and had long shaggy chestnut hair and brown eyes to match. Much like mine, but my eyes were soft and innocent, and his cut through you like ice. My hair, unlike his, was clean and brushed to perfection. He wore a black sweatshirt that was two sizes too big, and jeans with holes in them. When he spoke, his eyebrows raised and his lips barely moved. He was young, probably around twenty, and he creeped me out.

"Come on, I don't have all day," he barked at the person. He walked in a bit more and I realized that the leash I thought he was carrying was actually a rope, and it was attached to a woman's neck. She walked in with her head hung low, but I could see the terrified look in her eyes.

"Shut the door!" He commanded at her. She turned around but he didn't give her any leeway on the rope, so she practically choked herself trying to follow his orders. "Hello!?" he shouted. I was tempted to answer, but I didn't know what he would do to me. Quite frankly, I didn't know what he was going to do to her, either.

The woman he dragged along was frail and I'm guessing she could easily be bruised. She had fair skin and long, light blonde hair, she looked about eighteen and had brown eyes. She was short and lean, but had some muscle on her, which I'm guessing was no match for his.

"What are you going to do to me?" I heard the faint whisper escape from her lips.

"Oh, Lindsey, why would you assume I'm going to do anything to you?" his sinister laugh followed and he instructed her to stand in front of him, she refused and he slapped her across the face. She walked cautiously in front of him, peering around to see what he was doing but each time he would just order her to turn around. I watched as he pulled out a knife and as she turned around, he thrusted it in her back. She keeled over in pain and I watched as she dropped to the ground. She screamed out in pain and I started to let out silent tears. Her blood dripped down her back, soaking her shirt and pants.