Creek Sanctuary

Hey guys!! This is a piece I did for my writing class at school. We had to go and describe our favorite place while incorperating the five sense. Enjoy! <3

********************************************************

Dashing out of my house I make a break for my sanctuary, hoping to clear my thoughts and rationalize the situation that just occurred. I stroll through the secret passage only those who have grown up here know about. Reminiscing about all the fun childhood memories my friends and I shared in this lovely little creek. We once searched for crawfish in the welcoming water, avoiding stepping on rough, jagged rocks while making the clear water cloudy when we took each step. We also picked flowers, rode our bikes over the tree filled bank, ran from snakes that turned out to be harmless sticks. Life was so easy back then, not worrying about colleges or nationwide problems. Luckily, the one thing that has not changed is my sanctuary, I can always confide to it.

As I step through our old pathway I take in the evergreen beauty before me, grinning ear to ear as if I have morphed into a Cheshire cat when coming to this calming creek. The sweet aroma of wild flowers and honeysuckle hits my nostrils like a Mike Tyson punch. The sunlight peeping through the lush trees cascades onto the water, illuminating its translucent beauty only making it seem like a mere fantasy instead of reality. As I stride over to the other side of the bank with help from the ancient fallen tree connecting the two sides, I plug in my I-Pod to drown out the high pitched symphony of birds chirping all around, accompanied by the sound of rushing water.

I feel the delicate velvet petals on a few of the variety of flowers around me when I reach the other side of the grassy bank. Fallen trees and cob webs are vast in this surreal land. Yet, this only seems to add to its character and charm in my eyes. The cob webs glisten in the sun light with dew saturating them, making them picture perfect for a photographer. The old trees have patterns etched in them from worms looking as if they are exotic tribal art pieces in a gallery of grass.

I pluck a few black berries from a bush and savor their juicy, naturally luscious flavor, wishing that they were always available instead of processed foods that clog your arteries and cause several health problems. After having about twenty succulent berries I march over to an elderly tree I almost consider a childhood friend, you know if it were alive. With a small inner struggle I decide to climb up the sturdy bark, looking down at the school of minnows swimming freely as royal blue dragonflies soar by chasing the colorful array of butterflies away in the process. Perching myself in a comfortable position, I gaze up at the morning sky and breathe in the crisp, dry air and instantly relax in my blanket of abundant leaves.

Contemplating the future and working through stressful times comes easy here, in the creek I find my temple of peace. As the whimsical wind sweeps stress away I think of everything in a new vivid light. My favorite place, my sanctuary full of beauty is my gate way to old memories as well as new ideas, and it is right in my backyard.