One

Blue birds chirping outside my bedroom window had me up and stretching as the first light of day peeked over the hillside.
A small smile crept upon my face. Today was the day I would be volunteering at our local animal shelter. I have been looking forward to this day all week long!

"Abi," mom called, "rise and shine!" She rapped three times on my bedroom door as she walked by. "Today is the day!" She yelled as she started descending our stair case.

I heard the twins, Mitch and Kevin, slam their door open and haul ass toward the lower floor. I laughed to myself and thought, 'I sure hope they save me some breakfast!'

After a quick shower, I made my way downstairs and into the kitchen. The boys left a huge mess, like always.  The smell of bacon hit my nose causing my stomach to growl loudly. 

"Where's the bacon?" I mumbled.  "Why can't I find the bacon?" The smell was so strong yet none could be found.  Damn twins! Ugh! Cereal it would be.  Just great.

After pouring a bowl full, I hastily walked to the sliding glass doors.  The scene outside had me choking instantly--milk flew out of my mouth and nose.  I started laughing loudly. 

Mom had the water hose on high and was spraying Mitch and Kevin. They tried running from mom but failed miserably. Because of the intense water pressure, the boys could barely stand on their feet.  I continued laughing while shaking my head. Only mom. That woman is crazy. I finished my last bite and placed the bowl into the sink.

"Mom," I yelled as I cracked the sliding door, "I'm headed to the animal shelter!" I slammed the door closed as she turned, bringing the water hose with her. "Be careful!" She mumbled back. I gave her a quick wave and skipped to the front door.

"This is going to be so much fun!" I squealed aloud, grabbed my purse and slammed the door behind me.

~~~

The animal shelter came into view and the grin on my face grew wider. I dont think anyone knows how truly excited I am about working her today. My love for animals is out of this world. They are just so adorable! I think everyone should adopt these babies. I parked my car around back and ran to the front of the little shop.

Radical Furballs was printed on the door in a vibrant pink vinyl. Their phone number and email just below that. The door swung open almost hitting me. The guy who did it didnt even notice me standing there. He had his head down and earbuds in his ears. I heard the song playing but couldn't make out what it was. I reached and jerked his left earbud out and gave him a look.

"What the... oh, hey!" He said giving me a sheepish look. "I didn't see you standing there." His cheeks tinged a bright pink shade and his left dimple shown perfectly as his smile got wider. "I'm Chris!"

"I'm Abi." I replied while shaking his hand. "Should you be listening to music that loudly?" He shrugged before holding the door open wider for me to enter into the building.

Inside, I could hear the furballs meowing, growling, and hissing. Hissing? Shit!
From the corner of my right eye, I caught the slithering motion of a snake. Or was it a lizzard? Either or.... no. Just, no.

Chris walked deeper into the building and I quickly followed. I didnt want to be stuck by the reptiles. Nope. Not one bit. Maybe they would keep me on a completely different side, way away from-

"Abi?" A short little old lady questioned. She adjusted her glasses and looked down at the folder she had in her hands. "Says here I have your help for the next few days." I shook my head yes, and she smiled, revealing the red lipstick on her teeth. "Follow me." she instructed with a quick wave over her shoulder so I did as told.

"My name is Maggie, but you can call me Nana Mags." She grinned back at me, I guess to see my reaction and to make sure I was keeping up.

"It is very nice to meet you Nana Mags," I gave her a wide smile back, "and thank you for allowing me to volunteer under you." She hummed something and continued walking up ahead.

We passed puppies and kittens of all shapes and sizes. Fluffy ones, skinny ones, orange, black, brown, and one kitten that looked just like my cat, Tootie! Only it had a cute little heart shaped spot on the end of its nose. "Aww," I gushed and scooped the kitten up. "Aren't you just the cutest little thing!?"

A throat cleared before me and a disapproving look crossed Nana Mags face. "You have not washed your hands yet, you dont have on appropriate gear, and you don't know that that kitten is very sick." Sick? It didnt look sick... "Milo is sick," she continued,  "please put him down and scrub up immediately." Her voice got stern towards the end of her speech. It kind of made me want to cry. Nana Mags didn't look like she had a mean bone in her body before then. She pointed toward the back and said, "bathroom, now!"

I scrubbed my hands for a good while before drying them on the towel and heading back out. I didn't hear Chris nor Nana Mags so I slowly made my way around the place. I wanted to get a feel of what all animals I would be helping out with. I made sure to keep my hands to myself this time.
As I rounded the next corner I heard a high pitched screech. I tried to duck down before whatever it was landed on me, but was too late.

"Do not move!" Chris scream whispered. His wide eyes had my heart pounding out of my chest.

"What is i-"

"Don't move Abigail!" His steps slow the closer to me he gets. "If that thing bites you..."

The next thing I know, a net is flying towards my head, and everything suddenly turns black.

Updates will be once a week. Please let me know what you think so far.  Thanks for checking this story out. -M