Chapter 5

I put my earbuds in my ear and started playing some music. I was waiting on the front steps of the school for Jake to come pick me up. He left after lunch and told me he would come back to get me.

After a few more minutes and still no sign of him, I decided to call. I paused the music that was playing and dialed his number.

"Hello?" He answered after the third ring.

"Jake, where the hell are you?" He better have a good excuse for not picking me up on time.

"Oh shit, I forgot. I'm sorry Kat." I heard him moving stuff around in the background.

"So are you finally going to pick me up?" I asked him. I have been waiting here for 45 minutes.

"Yeah, hold on, I'm getting ready. I'll text you when I leave the house."

"Okay, bye." I heard him mumble something as he hung up.

I sighed and turned the music back on. I placed my phone in my lap and looked at the scenery.

The wind was blowing the leaves around and the trees were already the basic fall colors. It was actually quite serene despite still being at school.

I was beginning to close my eyes after about ten minutes when I felt someone tap on my shoulder.

"Finally, you took forever." I said as I began to gather my things and look up. Only, when I did, I noticed it wasn't Jake who tapped on my shoulder.

"What do you want?" I groaned. Alex stood in front of me with a smirk on his face.

"You're blocking the doors. I need to get something inside, so you should move." He demanded.

"You could say please." I snapped at him. I hate it when people tell me what to do.

"You could move."

"You could stop being such a jerk." I retorted.

"You could stop being such a stubborn bitch and get out of my way." I gasped at his rude remark.

Not bothering to reply, I got up and walked down the steps towards the bench.

"Asshole," I muttered when I sat down. I looked over towards the doors and saw that he was already gone. I can't believe he's so rude and all because he didn't want to say please.

I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket and pulled it out. It was a text from Jake.

I forgot to text you when I left and decided to stop to get some food for us. Hopefully you're not too mad. -Jake

I rolled my eyes and replied back.

I am a little mad, you better have gotten something good for me to eat. -Kat

If he was going to stop for food, then I better have something I enjoy.

Only the best for you ;) I'll be there in 5 -Jake

I grinned. Of course he got me something good, he's my best friend so he knows what to expect.

I replied back with a simple smiley face and locked my phone while placing it in my pocket. After a few minutes, I quietly started to sing to the song that was playing. It was Prayer Of The Refugee by Rise Against. I only just heard this song yesterday, and I instantly liked it.

"Still out here?" Someone said and I stopped singing. I looked up to see Alex looking at me.

"Yeah, Jake should be here any minute now to pick me up," I said trying to keep things simple since I really don't want to talk to him right now, or ever.

"That's unfortunate, and by the way, you're a terrible singer." How dare he? He's just wanting to get slapped today!

"Maybe you should just shut the fu-" I was interrupted by a familiar black car pulling up next to us. Jake rolled down the window and glared at Alex before looking at me.

"C'mon Kat, I have food." He held up a bag of Taco Bell. I instantly grinned and gathered my things from the bench.

I started walking to Jake's car when I remembered that Alex was probably still around. I turned around to finish what I was saying before, but he was no longer there. I shrugged and turned back around to Jake's car and my precious tacos.

*****