Cold Case

"Honey, time to wake up and go to school!" My mom yells from outside my room. I whine a bit into my pillow before opening my eyes and getting out of bed. I walk over to the mirror on my vanity and I stare at myself blankly. This body was never mine to begin with and it'll never be mine in the end.

A month ago, I was killed. Well, my original body was killed and I was given a chance to live life once more but with a catch: a chance to find my killer. I don't even know who would have killed me, let alone that didn't like me. Sure, there were people I didn't get along with very well and that I disliked myself but not enough to consider one of them as my killer. All I know is that the person had to have known me because of the way I died.

A Month Ago

I gasp for air and I open my eyes as I look around me. I panic as I struggle to get up and figure out if I'm dreaming or not. "Where am I?"

"You're in Heaven," a voice calls out in response to my question.

I look around in fear. "Heaven? How?"

"You're dead," the voice replies to me. "Kelly Anne Simpson, you were murdered."

I shake my head in denial. "That can't be! You're lying to me!" I try pinching myself and closing my eyes just to reopen them but neither working to get me out of this place. I panic once more and begin crying to myself.

"Do not be afraid my dear child, you will have a chance to live once again," the mysterious voice echoes. "How you died was unfair and unjust, the killer might just get away with it too."

"Who killed me?" I ask as I wipe some of the tears off my face. "I want to know! I didn't do anything wrong to them, did I? Tell me what I did to deserve to die!"

"My dear child, you didn't do anything wrong and you didn't deserve to die. Sometimes bad things happen to good people and sometimes there's nothing we can do to stop it. However, everyone who dies unjustly will have a chance to confront those who have done an unjust act against them. There's a catch though," they explain.

"What is the catch? Tell me," I beg. "I just want to figure out who it is and make them pay for what they have done to me."

"The catch is that you will be reborn with memories already there of a different life," they explain. "You will be put into the same place you were living and know the same people. You will also be near the killer and have to find a way to solve your own case. If you find them and bring them to justice, you'll be given two different choices."

"What is it?" I ask.

"You can either choose to stay in your new body and have the life you never got to finish or you can choose to be brought back here to Heaven," they answer. "However, you can only choose one and cannot change your mind no matter what. Do you understand?"

I nod my head as I contemplate my choices. "I understand and I'll do it."

"Sleep, as you will awaken tomorrow as new person."

"Okay class," the teacher says. "We have a new student here who just transferred to our school, her name is Cassandra Black and she'll be finishing out her senior year with us. Please welcome her kindly to our school!"

I look around the classroom at all the familiar faces and I smile. "I can't wait to get to know you all." My heart begins racing as I think about how one of my classmates could possibly be my killer. I shake the thought from my head as I sit down in an empty seat in the corner of the room. I nervously look down at my desk as I listen to the teacher begin their lecture.