Chapter 1

What I imagine Rose looks like ^

Rose Taylor felt certain someone was watching her. The feeling had been prickling the back of her neck for several minutes, and despite her best attempts she couldn't pinpoint the source. She kept glancing behind her but didn't see anyone out of the ordinary on the quickly darkening Chicago streets. In fact, she didn't see anyone at all. She wrapped her jacket tighter around her, feeling a chill despite the warm spring night.

As she turned down another alley on her way home, her phone rang. Her fingers fumbled while unzipping her purse. Suddenly there was a noise behind her. She turned, her hand dropping to her side. There was a dark object pointed at her, metal reflecting in the distant streetlight. Her breath caught in her chest as she recognized it as a gun.

The mugger holding the gun had a black ski mask covering his face. His baggy brown trench coat was slightly fluttering in the breeze, and he was shuffling side to side nervously.

"Toss over your purse." He called, voice weak and high-pitched.

Rose hesitated. All of her money, her phone, her cards were in her purse. She didn't want to give that up. She wondered if he would really try to kill her if she didn't hand it over. If she could get away without giving it up, that would be the best situation. Muggers usually didn't want to hurt anyone in her experience, as she had known several people who had turned to mugging when they were homeless.

"Why don't I just give you my cash? That's what you're after anyway, right? That way I can keep my ID."

She kept her voice calm and spoke slowly, trying to exude a nonthreatening air. Despite her efforts, her words agitated him more. He held up the gun more firmly in her face and stepped forward.

"No. The whole purse, now."

Rose knew better than to argue with him a second time. She removed her purse strap from her shoulder and threw it over to the burglar. He caught it midair, tucked it under his arm, and said, "Sorry about this. You have to die."

Rose stared wide-eyed at the man as he pointed the gun with more purpose, finger moving to the trigger. She shut her eyes, preparing for the blast of the bullet and pain ripping through her. Seconds passed and...nothing. She opened her eyes again and jumped back in surprise at the sight before her.

A man dressed in a dark suit was suddenly standing between her and the shooter. She peered over his shoulder--which meant standing on her tiptoes, as he was quite a bit taller than her--to see the gun suddenly disappear. He yelled in surprise before dropping her purse and running away. She looked around for the gun to make sure the new man wouldn't get any ideas, but it was completely gone.

Rose squeaked like a mouse and backed up, unsure what just happened. The well-dressed man dipped down and snatched her purse from the asphalt in one smooth movement. He turned to face her, holding it out.

The first thing she noticed about him were his bright, hypnotizing eyes staring intently at her. They swept across her form, studying her. "Are you okay?" He asked, an unidentifiable accent marking his smooth voice.

Rose had to remind herself to breathe. "Um...yes. Who are you? What...what just happened?" She asked while cautiously taking her purse from the stranger's hand.

The man ran a hand through his dark hair. "Don't worry about who I am. I was passing by and knocked the gun out of that guy's hand. That's all." His eyes bore into hers, willing her to accept his story.

"But the gun disappeared...?"

She wondered to herself if she had imagined it. She looked around again, only to see nothing on the sidewalk or street. Her gaze finally moved back up to his still form. He seemed calm, and if she hadn't felt instinctually off, she would have believed him wholeheartedly.