Chapter One

Chapter one:

I'm pushed and jostled about throughout my schools hallway. It's always so hectic on the first day of the school year. I search the long corridor for room three-hundred and forty-five. My schedule says my first class of the year will be held there. I let out a silent whoop of victory when I spot the door. The bodies that crowd the hall obscure my view of the exact classroom but I can tell by the door numbers around it that I've found the right door. Pushing my way through the crowd I walk into the room. I'm early as usual and no one's in the classroom, not even the teacher.

I make my way to the center desk on the front row and neatly pile my belongings on the floor. Backpack on the left and my purse on the right. I smile slightly at my handy-work and settle into the beige desk. I shiver slightly as my bare skin hits the metal side of the desk. I always forget how cold these things are over the summer.

While I wait on the teacher I study the classroom trying to memorize my surroundings. I look at everything from the globe sitting on the shelf in the front left corner of the room to the stapler sitting on the teacher's desk. Everything is beige as expected but there's one item that sticks out. My new teacher as it seems is quite the rebel. They've gone against the governments law to make everything equal and put a picture on their desk. How could something so small even make a difference you ask? The difference is that this is forbidden.

I take a closer look at the photo and smile when I see what it is. This mystery teacher has made a bold choice of photo but a sweet one all the same. A little boy is smiling at the camera in the picture. He looks to be about eight and he's missing his front left tooth. Everything about him seems so innocent from his golden blonde hair to his goofy smile. My eyes crinkle at the corners a bit when I see what he's holding. It's a simple brown teddy bear with black button eyes. Everything is just so untainted by the world in this moment captured forever and it's perfect.

I tear my eyes away from the photograph and I look down at my hands folded in my lap. My hands are so plain. Their pale and I wear no polish or rings to decorate them. Then again no one wears polish or rings anymore seeing as how their not allowed too. No one except the officials, that is.

I shiver at the thought of the officials. They all wear gaudy jewelry and dye their hair brilliant colors. They wear their awful bright designer clothes and strut around showing off their newly-enhanced bodies. Everything about them makes me sick. How dare they restrict their peoples rights to express themselves but they go around hardly themselves at all anymore?

"Alright class let's get started," a woman says startling me from my thoughts.

I look around at the now full classroom. Time must've flown by while I was thinking of such forbidden things.

"My name's Mrs. Cauldron and I'm your history of the law teacher this year," she says with a warm smile.

I bite back an ironic smile. A teacher of the law who's breaking the law so casually? Who would've thought.

"In this class you will not only re-learn simple laws you already know, but you will also learn of new ones and how they came to be. It is my job to keep you up to date on every rule, big or small," she continues.

I think back on the countless rules we've learned before. How could their possibly be more?

"Before we get started I would like to go back to our first school days and play a name game. Tell me your name, your parent's names, and your favorite color," she says with a glint in her eye.

Strange, a teacher with a desire to know something about our personal lives. All my life teacher's have been forbidden to show signs of emotions, signs of their personal lives, or know anything about ours. I turn my head slightly as the first girl in my class starts to speak,