Journeys End

For the last nine years I have traveled with Clora Fontaine, a human cleric. I joined her quest for vengeance against The Demon King, whose armies laid waste to her home and killed her family. Unfortunately for Clora, I was not who I presented myself to be. My name was not Alastair D'loriac. I am in fact Choloth, Scourge of the Nine Realms, Bringer of Doom, and better known as simply The Demon King.

The quest began as a joke to satisfy my ever-present boredom. Our journey taking us to fantastic places and presenting harrowing adventures. Each day taking us one step closer to our inevitable final confrontation. However as we traveled, fought, and ate together, something changed. Something that I could not have ever anticipated.

Clora had kissed me, whispering "I love you," as I lay recovering from a particularly bloody battle. She thought I was unconscious, but I was merely feigning injury as part of my ruse. Rather than being filled with revulsion at her declaration, I found myself buoyed. Unbeknownst to myself, The Demon King, I had fallen in love with a human woman.

That was many months ago. Soon after her first kiss I made my feelings clear to Clora, forgetting myself and living for the moments we spent together. Adventures by day, unbridled love by night. But all good things must come to an end.

Now we stand at the entrance of The Demon King's fortress. It's dark spires reaching into the storm-ridden skies, the whole of reality here twisted by evil magics. With a wave of my hand and a simple demonic incantation, I released the magical seals that guarded my domain.

Great sadness welled within me, a feeling deepened at the sight of tortured betrayal upon her face, I opened the gates and said "Come Clora, I bid you welcome to the palace of The Demon King, my home."