Chapter one - The update

"Thank you for gathering here at such short notice." Fury spoke in a calm, paced tone which was unusual for the tall, sullen faced man.

"I think that assembling would be more appropriate." Tony stated, trying to make light of the moment at hand.

"We were informed that it was something to do with Agent Coulson." Natasha spoke up ignoring the previous comment from Tony.

"Yes." Director Fury paused looking around the circular table surrounded by 'Earths mightiest heroes' who at this moment, each seemed uneasy in the fact that they had no knowledge or control over their current situation. "I have called you to discuss the topic of Agent Coulson."

The mere mention of Phil was still a touchy subject for the team, it had only just passed the sixth month marker since his untimely death and it was quite clear from the nervous fingers tapping on the table and the squeaks from the chairs as someone shifted their position that emotions were not completely dealt with yet.

"S.H.E.I.L.D thought it appropriate to inform you of an update we have." Fury stated.

"Update?" Rogers looked up from where he had been staring at a scratch in the glass table.

Fury moved around the table glancing at each avenger individually. "We all know Agent Coulson was a quiet man, never spoke about his personal life but obviously here at S.H.E.I.L.D we knew everything that there was to know about him."

All eyes were now on the director as he stood back at the head of the table. "Coulson never wore a ring but he was in fact married, yet it's known that she also passed a couple years before him." Expressions around the room changed quickly and looks of confusion, pity and curiosity were being shared between the team. "Agent Coulson never wanted his family evolved with his work, it's a risky business to get unwillingly mixed up with." Collective mumbles and nods signified each of the group recalling their own thoughts and memories. "At work he was an Agent, at home he was a family man. A husband and father."

"A father?" Clint spoke his face painted with a shocked expression.

"Agent Coulson has a daughter." Fury nodded towards Barton who's eyes were still wide in questioning.

"Has?" The Thor joined in the conversation and placed his large arms upon the table leaning forward as if to try and get closer to the new information.

Fury motioned towards the television screen at the back of the room where a picture had appeared. Hazel eyes that admittedly looked more green than brown and dark brows framed the face of a teenage girl along with long and strait dark brown hair just like her father. The photo seemed to come off some sort of identification however she was harbouring the smallest hint of a smile making it was not all impossible to see some of her father within her.

"Her name is Felicity and she will be coming to stay for a while until other arrangements can be made." The director stated still staring at the screen.

"Can I ask why?" Banner who had stayed relatively quiet throughout the meeting asked.

" I am unable to disclose that information right now. She will be joining us tomorrow and I am putting her in to the care of you all." Fury motioned to the team.

"Woah hold on there, we're not babysitters." Tony stated almost choking on his drink.

"You are agents and your mission wether or not you choose to accept it is to watch over Felicity Coulson." Fury proclaimed clearly, all the time still staring at Stark. "And I'm sure you wouldn't want to let Agent Coulson down." A mist of guilt quickly filed over the room.

"We will do our best sir. For Agent Coulson." Steve looked sincerely at the director, remembering his inability to sign Phil's treasured cards. Maybe he could make it up to him this way.

"Extra information will be sent to you later on today. Any questions?" Fury quickened his speech.

"Uh yea.." Banner started only to be interrupted by fury-"No, good, that's what I thought." The director took one last look around the room and then exited using the doors behind him.

As the sound of his foot steps faded away silence surrounded them. Not a word escaped their lips however they were all thinking the same thing:

This was going to be their hardest mission yet.