One

-Claire-

Cameron held the door open for me. I rolled my eyes, as if to say 'I am capable of opening a door you know'. He just grinned and poked his tongue out a little as I went through.

Cameron's the best older brother anyone could have, but he tends to baby me more than your average big bro because I'm deaf. I mean come on, I might not be able to hear but I can still hit you hard enough to leave a bruise!

"Are you going to be okay?" He signs as we walk through the crowded school halls. We've just moved back to mum's hometown after the divorce, which means a new school for the both of us. And my hearing aid got dropped in a puddle yesterday.

I'm not exactly in the best of moods.

I nod in reply then look down at the sheet I was handed at the front office. Locker 129. I look over and check Cam's, but of course his is no where near mine. It's officially 'Annoy Claire' day.

With a sigh I tell him to go find his locker and I'll see him at lunch. He refused at first but relented after I pushed him halfway down the hallway. Once his brown mess of hair disappeared into the crowd, I went off in search of my locker. Already our antics had caused others to stare, so I kept my eyes trained on the floor, only occasionally looking up to check the numbers that lined the walls.

I didn't want to be the 'new girl'. Or the 'deaf girl', for that matter. I had hoped that at best I would only have to be the first, but its going to take a few weeks to get another hearing aid sent. So for now, I'm the deaf new girl.

Finally I find number 129. Twisting the lock until it springs open, I look inside to see barely any space for my hefty textbooks.

"Why do they make these lockers so tiny," I murmur in what I hope is barely louder than a whisper.

Suddenly the hairs at the nape of my neck prick up. Someone is looking at me. Did I really say it that loudly? My cheeks get hot as I try to ignore it, loading whatever books will fit into the cramped space. The seconds slowly pass and curiosity burns a hole in my stomach until I can't take it anymore. I have to find out who is staring at me like I'm the strangest thing this side of flying elephants.

I peek over my shoulder, nervously tucking a strand of hair behind my ear. I look up, meeting a pair of piercing blue eyes half obscured by a strong brow. Eyes that belonged to a giant of a boy, black hair resting perfectly on his forehead and a loose shirt hiding the six pack I could just tell was there. He leaned against the lockers across the hallway, unmoving even though there was a huge group around him. All I could detect was silence, but I could tell from the way they were moving and carrying on they were loud.

I snap out of my reverie when I realise he had said something, although what it was I have no idea. I should really brush up on my lipreading skills, I think as I tear my eyes away from his. Grabbing out whatever books I could lay my hands on, I hurry away in the hope that he would leave me alone. If only.

I got barely five metres before I get shoved up against the wall. Blue eyes towers over me, one arm either side of my shoulders. Anger dances in his eyes, as well as other emotions I cannot place. His lips start moving and I drop my gaze to them, desperately trying to decipher what they are saying. But I only catch one word. Mine.

Mine?!?! I shriek internally. God, its only been ten minutes and I've already acquired a crazy stalker! No, no, this can't be happening.

Blue eyes obviously hears my pounding heart and shaky breath, concern softening his features. He reaches down with one huge hand to tuck the strand that has come loose back in its place, giving me an escape route. I sprint down the halls, nearly crashing into others more than once, my panicked mind focused on only one thing. Finding Cameron.

Thankfully, it doesn't take me too long to find him. I grab hold of his arm and drag him inside the nearest classroom, which luckily is both empty and unlocked.

"What's wrong?" He signs, taking in my somewhat disheveled appearance.

"Some guy keeps staring at me and following me and saying stuff to me I don't understand-" I reply frantically.

"Slow down, slow down. What happened?"

I tell him everything that happened, and instead of getting angry, he just laughed.

"Oh Claire, the boys are already falling at your feet," he tells me between guffaws. I just narrow my eyes at him, waiting for him to sober up.

"Seriously though, tell me if he comes near you again, I'll break his nose for you."

I smile and give him a hug just as the bell rings. Shit, I don't know where my class is. I dash out, Cameron following close behind. Could this day get any worse?

Apparently, it can. Once I finally find my classroom (B22, in the English block) I enter only to find the class nearly full. The teacher glares at me and says something along the lines of 'Can I help you?'

I fish out the note I had written early this morning and pass it to her, my hand shaking a little. Hello , it read. My name is Claire White and i'm the new student here at Hitmore High. I'm also deaf and currently do not have a working hearing aid, so for the next week or two it would be appreciated if you would take this into consideration. For this reason I request not to have to introduce myself to the class and also please do not mention my impairment in front of them. Thank you.

For a long, tense moment her eyes scan the note, before handing it back to me with a curt nod. I smile in gratitude before making my way over to one of the two remaining empty seats. It was on the far side of the classroom, just in front of the empty chair in the back corner. Hopefully it stays empty.

A second later it seems I've spoken too soon. The door opens, and there's Blue Eyes with a cocky smirk etched on his face.

Its going to be a long day.

-----------

Vote

Comment

Enjoy :3