in the night garden

so, this is probably my most thought our theory

quick summary of what the show is: This series features sharing, caring costumed characters with silly names (Igglepiggle, Makka Pakka and Upsy Daisy) babbling baby talk and having adventures in a colourful outdoor setting. Designed for children aged 2 to 4, the show strives to entertain its target audience while helping them relax as bedtime draws near.

okay so at the beginning of every episode we see a parent and their child at bedtime, the parent is putting their child to sleep and is always tracing circles around the palm of their childs hand. the child always looks like they are just about to go to sleep and as they do we are welcomed to the little night garden. so in my observation we are welcomed to what we are made to think is dreamland.

the little night garden is a very weird place, something unusual that you would dream of as it contains some very impossible things. the garden itself is very extremely spacious and doesn't have any real buildings apart from a very small house for the pontipines and a cave for makka pakka. there is also a train, called the ninky nonk, that has different compartments made for each specific character and and a hot air ballon that I cant exactly remember the name of.

lets start with iggle piggle: on first glance he very much resembles a child, he holds a blanket and is the only one that doesn't live in the night garden

my theory is that he represents the sleeping child but i'll explain why later.

next we have upsy daisy who is a dark skinned girl but that does not necessarily mean she is a person of colour or even a person at all as iggle piggle is blue and looks like that weird rock emoji. upsy daisy plays with iggle piggle a lot and sleeps in a bed that she kind of drags around with her during the day.

my theory is that upsy daisy represents the childs parents of the overall concept of the child being cared for.

makka pakka is a weird looking creature who definitely has obsessive compulsive disorder and always has to make sure his/her/their rocks are clean.

I don't have a proper theory on him/her/them but makka pakka could possibly represent how the child may be in the future... as in maybe the child will get diagnosed with OCD in the future or maybe even autism as makka pakka could be autistic but we don't see him/her/them in lots of different situations. all makka paka does is clean rocks and peoples faces. makka pakka does always need to line his/her/their rocks up which is a sign of autism. (my mother is a phycologist)

the tombaleboos are probably just an added extra to the show to make it look more fun and I don't see anything suspicious surrounding them but I do have a thing to say about them later. I think the same about the pontipines.

second to last we have the titifers who are basically just a bunch of birds that sing

and lastly we have the haahoos who are these massie kind of creepy ballon things that are supposed to be welcoming, iggle piggle always encounters them near the end.

now you have that understanding here is my main theory

iggle piggle represents the child, my idea is that the child is sick at that is being put to sleep to never awake again, the night garden is their last few moments before they die. iggle piggle/the child explores the night garden and towards the end of the show the titifers sing and the voiceover guy says "the titifers have sung their song, time to go to bed iggle piggle". I think that his means that his time is up and now its time for him to pass on. he is then greeted by the haahoos who represent either angels or demons I'm not entirely sure.

iggle piggle then seems like he doesn't want to go to bed, he doesn't want to leave. after the voiceover guy convinces him he finally gets on the boat and the show end with him sleeping on the boat, which has a small lamp on the mast, drifting into darkness before the light finally turns off. during Viking times when people died they would be put on a burning boat so this is a symbol of the child finally leaving the world and as the light switches off, the child does too.

also another point i forgot to make the sizes don't make sense:

the tomableboos are way too big for their house but manage to fit in anyway. makka pakka when on the carousel at the end looks 100000000000x smaller that upsy daisy but when he washed her face they are the same height. the pontipines are the same height as the tombaleeboos when on the hot air balloon but are 100000000000x smaller every other time. the haahoos are just wayyyyyyyyyy too big.

a/n: I hope this made sense and that I haven't ruined anyones childhood... if anyone actually reads this please recommend more shows I shoud ruin for yall.