prologue:the evening before...

Atral lay on his bunk tired but still not able to sleep. The nerves for the Choosing ceremony tomorrow were keeping him up. He had twisted and turned under his threadbare blanket all night. In a few hours the Trigulan masters would decide his faith and that of many others. The first 21 years of his life he had spent in this same compound tending the huge grainfields that provided part of the huge Trigulan empire with food whilst receiving a basic education. But every year there was the Day of Choosing where the Masters tested all slaves of all races that reached adulthood and assigned them jobs they would have to fullfill for the rest of their lives.

There were not many options, and most of them were not pleasant. He could be sent to a mining planet or asteroid where life was harsh and short, could be condemned to go to a similar farm like the one he grew up on and toil the fields for the rest of his life in drudgery. The next option was to be named a household serf to one of the Masters which was what most hoped for because it afforded the most comfort, luxury and longest life expectancy but none of those were what Atral desired. He wanted the last and final option, he wanted to join the military and fight, explore new worlds and experience new things even though the life expectancy was shortest of all. He was young, in his prime and as all of his age believed that he could not be harmed and would live forever.

"Oh Atral, please try and get some sleep" Grendo growled from one bunk beneath him.

"Easy for you to say" the young man whispered back in order to try not to wake their four other roommates. "Your fate has been decided years ago, you will stay here and work here till your back is broken and end your life doing menial jobs or be culled when you have served your purpose. This is not what I want, I want to see things, experience things and not die having seen no more than farms and fields."

Grendo sighed because he had heard it all before and could still remember his Day of Choosing all those years ago. He could still remember his eagerness and dread at hearing the verdict. It had taken him a long time but now he was content with his lot. He accepted that he could not change it anyway. For to protest or show disobedience meant harsh and swift punishment.

"What will be, will be young one. I have thought you all i know and prepared you best i can but all that will be for naught if you fall and break your neck because you are to tired to keep your eyes open. So try and get a couple of hours sleep while you still can."

Atral knew he was right but the nervous energy still kept him up a while longer until his soft snores slowly filled the room in concert with the others' slow and steady breathing. Then also Grendo drifted into a light slumber with a light smile on his face.