00: NOTE

e x t e n d e d  s u m m a r y:

WANTED: THREE PERSONS TO TRAVEL THE COUNTRY IN SEARCH OF THE MYSTERIOUS, MISSING DARIN MCDOWELL. REWARD INCLUDES THE OUTSTANDING COMPANY OF YOURS TRULY, EMME FOSS. BRING SNACKS.

Since she was seven, Emme Foss has kept up close correspondence with the author of an advice column, Darin McDowell – that is, she has, up until the summer of her seventeenth year.

And that’s when the letters stop.

Emme’s never met Darin, she’s never seen Darin; she’s never even spoken to him in any other medium than through his letters. But when he goes missing, Emme’s led to believe that he could be in grave danger. And when she publishes an ad in the paper requesting help for a cross-country manhunt for the man behind the letters, the response she gets is a little unexpected.

But when the cheif of the local police department (a man who happens to be the father of Emme's latest recruit) is tasked with the chore of tracking down the five reckless runaways, the search to find Darin becomes a tad bit more difficult.

And so, alongside an unusual band of teenagers, Emme embarks on a mission wrought with long car rides, frantic parents, an unrelenting police force, odd locals, and the occasional cult – all for the sake of finding exactly where Darin went

---

     a  n o t e  o n  g e o g r a p h y:

a good chunk of this book WILL be set in savannah, ga, a place i know very well, so let me just clear something up: the five main characters (emme, freddie, spencer, miles, and bea) all live on tybee island, a small island right off the mainland beside savannah. when the characters talk about "the island," they are naturally referring to tybee, and when they refer to being "in town," they mean the historic district, aka the shop-centered, rly pretty area of savannah. (also take note that many of the locations i name are fictitious, and they by no means represent actual stores/places on tybee island/savannah)

also, a good chunk of this book will be set in places i'm NOT familiar with (aka like the whole side of the US that's NOT the east coast), so please be patient. i've done my research, but if you find an error/a fault, please feel free to politely correct me. thank you!!