Caddie

It was a summer day. The soft warm breath of the air sauntered through the night, brushing the exposed skins of the people who walked down the streets.

A day in San Diego was a warm one, especially due to the summer season. But despite the heat, it didn't stop the people. They walked from shop to shop, street to street, talking and enjoying themselves through the cloud less night.

The moon shone brighter than ever on the pitch black canvas in the sky; illuminating the city below it in an aura of light. It struck the streets, the people, the buildings, and especially the ocean. The huge, glittering ocean that sparkled and gleamed through its dark facade.

Caddie Miller was watching the street besides her as she drove on the road to deliver a pizza. A large, pepperoni pizza encased by a brown, cardboard box that displayed the logo sat right beside her in a red, heat-keeping bag. She carefully glanced over at the pizza every once in a while, making sure that it didn't bounce to much or slip off the beige, car seat.

Caddie enjoyed delivering pizzas despite the night shift that she had to have. It was better, although, because it was when dinner was around, and usually many generous people tipped her quite an amount. But it became tedious at times since she arrived at her dorm late at night.

     It was hard to balance her work and her education at the same time. At times it became too difficult; especially when she had too read a chunk of a section from her textbook. Late at night, she would stay up in attempt to grasp and absorb the content. It was even more difficult when her eyes drooped down, her eyelashes meeting the skin below her eye. Then with a sudden jerk, she awoke from her three minute nap.

Caddie was glad, although, that it was summer vacation. Her second year of college was awaiting her, just two months and she'd have to return to the treacherous environment of stress that choked her calamity.

Caddie's first college year had flown by quite fast. Through the days and hours of studying and stressing, each day seemed to have passed by slowly. The only thing that sped up the year was her time working in the pizza parlor. And for that, Caddie appreciated the time consuming job that placed her on her toes.

Caddie hadn't thought of worrying about her second college year, at least not yet. And so, she lived in the moment that her job acquired to her. Music listening, ocean viewing, and pizza smelling were the few of the senses that she was using.

The sweet aroma of the delightful pepperoni pizza mixed together with the scent of sea salt wafted in her delivery car. A pleasant smell that made Caddie hungry for more of it, and thus that, it was another reason why Caddie absolutely enjoyed her employment.

Caddie turned a corner to the street where the house was. She slowed down the speed of her car and carefully read the numbers of the houses that were usually displayed on the front porch.

"625, 626, 627..."Caddie muttered to herself. Her eyes viciously scanned the numbers, and at last, Caddie found the house she was looking for.

A small white house sat on top of a yard with green healthy grass. The grass was littered with toy trucks and plastic swords, the porch had a swinging couch, and slung on a lower, fat branch of a tree right next to the house was a black tire swing. Caddie can only assume that a family lived in the house. And luckily, the numbers 635 were engraved near the swinging couch.

"635? Bingo,"Caddie said, a small smile stretched upon her lips. She unbuckled her seat belt and picked up the pizza on the seat next to her. Carefully walking and stepping over the toys, Caddie rung the small doorbell next to the door.