Cal's Lullaby

"Sing me a lullaby," Cal's hoarse voice whispered into Annie's ear. His dark brown eyes glittered a moment.  

"Not tonight."  

"But, Annie, I can feel-" 

"No you can't. you're imagining it, Cal. " Annie studied Cal's pale, sickly face and lips that were a deadly hue of blue. Crimson smeared his upper lip and his cheek, and blood was dried onto his chin and thin white sheets on his bed. "You can't leave me like momma did. " 

Cal nodded his head and coughed violently. Each cough erupted and shook his whole body. Blood stained his long, skinny fingers. "Annie, it hurts. " 

"I know," she whispered, "I know it does. hold on Cal. " She stroked his dark brown hair and hummed a familiar tune. She could feel him relax under her fingertips.  

Suddenly, the house shook and the rain outside grew heavy. Lightning illuminated the night along with the roars of thunder. It was an ugly storm for two kids to be stuck in alone.  

Annie found herself staring out the large window. She only wondered where her father was. He should have been home yesterday, but he never showed. She felt abandoned, lonely, and hurt. She was only twelve, after all, and had to watch over her dying seven year old brother. She had been betrayed.  

Then she thought she heard a noise downstairs.  

"Dad?" 

No reply. 

Louder, she called for him again. "Dad?" She heard nothing, but didn't give up hope. She crept along the old wooden floor to the top of the stairs. Slowly she descended them, each stair creaking under her tiny feet. No familiar face, sound, or shadow was in sight. She had not heard her father after all.  

"Annie!" Cal's shriek voice penetrated the silence. She rushed up the steps and saw him on his bed. He was coughing and coughing, blood spilling everywhere. Then he went quiet and still.  

"Cal?!" She ran to his side. He layed on the bed stiff and pale. Annie ran her fingers through his hair and traced his features. She kissed his lips and didn't bother to wipe the blood off from hers afterwards. Her thin, bloody upper lip began to quiver. He was dead. He left her, just like momma did. She could feel her world crashing around her.  

Softly, she began to sing. Her voice was carried out through the house like a gentle melody. It gradually became louder until her voice filled every corner. She was singing Cal's favorite lullaby, the one he always asked for. After a while she didn't feel sad, or mad, or anything. She felt empty. She was nothing without her brother.  

Then she came up with an idea. She walked to the windows and opened them. They were the same length as the wall, and she could easily step out of one. The rain poured into the house and soaked her thin, lacy, white nightgown. A smile crept onto her lips. She stepped through a window and onto the roof. The storm raged around her as she slowly walked farther and farther out. Step after step, steady breath after another. She put her arms into the air and looked down. It was a long drop. Her toes dangled off the edge, tempting her.  

"I love you, Cal," She muttered. "I'm coming to you." 

Then she pushed herself off the top of the house. The darkness greeted her with a powerful force, but death welcomed her with a gentle, warm kiss.