Nothing

Nothing.

1984.

I’m laying on my back looking at the clouds, hearing the birds sing. My name is Jamie I’m sixteen years old. I like daydreaming, my parents always say I need to take my head out of the clouds. Literally.

“We have to go.” Jane kicked my foot in frustration.

Jane is my twin sister.  We are identical other than the fact that she has short blonde hair and an unmistakable beauty mark on her chin. I have long light-brown hair that I usually wear in a braid down my back, that was completely matted with freshly cut grass when I stood up. 

“If we are late for school again because of you!”  Jane said, and walked off in a huff.

I liked to look at the clouds it was really the only normal thing in this town I live in, it was peaceful. I could dream when I looked up at the clouds. I basically lived in the middle of nowhere. The town is called Nothing. Nothing about this town is normal, probably where the name derived from, as well as nothing being here.

The houses are bright colours, purple, and orange, yellow, pink. My school is a pale purple it’s got a spiral staircase and the walls are a bright orange colour. It makes me sick, which is why I prevent it anytime I can. Our house is a peach colour, which I don’t mind.

We walked over the school oval. It had been freshly mowed, I could tell by the fresh smell of grass.

“Come on could you get any slower!” Jane whined running towards the gates. She mumbled something else under her breath which I couldn’t quite make out but no doubting she was cursing at me.

I could in fact walk slower, but I didn’t want to get her anymore grumpy. You see the reason she’s rushing to school so fast is because her ‘imaginary’ boyfriend Curt Nichols is moving into our Science class. He has jet black hair with a streak of red through his fringe. I think it looks bizarre. But here everything is so ridiculous that it’s normal. To be normal would be weird.

Jane has a huge crush on Curt it is so obvious, I think even he knows, which is maybe why he’s moving into our Science class. I watch my sister run up the stairs as the bell rings for first class. It was science; of course if it were any other class she would be trudging behind like me. I didn’t particularly like Science; I wasn’t very good at it either.

But the teacher is nice, Miss. Channing. She’s my favourite teacher; she always gives me god scores on my tests even though it’s obvious I am hopeless at Biology.I came to class late, but Miss. Channing just signalled to my seat next to Jane.

 “Did I miss anything?” I whispered sarcastically to Jane.

 Miss. Channing started writing on the chalk board and talking about Biology. I completely zoned out and started humming my favourite song. I thought about being at home listening to The Runaways on my record player.

 There was a knock at the door, that ruined my daydream. Miss Channing seemed annoyed that another student was late to her class. But when Curt walked in she realised he was a new student assigned to her class.

 “Oh come in Curt you’re not on my role yet.” She said adding his name onto the list.

 He came in with his hair styled differently; it was straightened and covered in styling gel. I could see Jane’s ecstatic face next to me, she was smiling at him. While I was making puking signals.

 “Here’s a seat!” Jane exclaimed pulling out the chair, and almost ordering him to sit there.

 He trudged in leaving a muddy trail from his shoes, Miss. Channing isn’t going to be happy about that but she didn’t seem to notice. Curt wasn’t very social, the opposite to my sister really. Jane was starting the conversation every time. I had to get her out of this class room before she explodes. I don’t know what she sees in Curt anyway.