Chapter 8

AVERY'S POV

I was lying up against the head board of my bed, taking notes for my next history exam. Libby, my roommate, had been helping me catch up on some school work. She was such a supportive friend in my time of need. Libby was like a distraction of some sort. Whenever I would feel depressed, she would take me out for ice cream or take me shopping at the outlets. Libby was like my replacement Noah for a little while. She was there for me when he wasn't. I met Libby at Salisbury's freshman orientation. Libby had dyed lime green hair, which she always wore in curly waves. She had colored braces, and always wore dark, black, eyeliner. Libby had a similar style to me, which made it easier to share each other's clothes.

Libby lay flat on her stomach, feet dangling in the air. She began to highlight important information in the textbook. A knock sounded at the door, causing us both to jump.

"Are you expecting someone Ave's?" Libby asked. She tucked the pink highlighter in her hair before making her way to the door.

"No, not right now. I plan to hang out with Noah a little later though" I replied, gathering my notes into a pile.

Later on today I had planned to go out with Noah. There was a small carnival that came to town. Since I hadn't been able to spend time with Jaime, he promised to bring her along. I would spend all day completing my coursework, and then have fun all night.

Libby opened the door, revealing Andrew. Andrew came in with a cheery smile. I was surprised to say the least.

What was he doing here?

"Hey beautiful." Andrew walked into the dorm room, taking a seat at the edge of the bed.

"Hey...What are you doing here?" I tucked the papers into my white binder looking up towards him. It wasn't like, I wasn't happy to see him. It was just surprising.

"I came over here so that we could hang out later tonight. I heard about this fantastic Chinese restaurant down the street. Who better to try it out with then you?" He smiled at me, touching the tip of my nose with his index finger.

"Andrew, that's sweet and all but I have other plans." I said, tracing random shapes on the palm of my hand.

"What other plans do you have exactly?" Andrew snapped. He was irritated now. I could tell by the way his nostrils flared up and down.

"Well I need to finish the rest of my assignments with Libby. Then tonight I'm going out with No-"

"So you're choosing him over me?" Andrew glared at me, before rolling his eyes.

"Andrew it's not even like that. I had plans before you came in here. It's not that big of deal, Jaime is coming along too. I'm not choosing sides. I could always hang out with you tomorrow." I picked the dry skin between my nails, looking directly into his eyes.

"It's a big deal to me Avery! How can you just so easily forgive him? You're hanging out with him, as if nothing happened! He was your best friend and he left you. How can you be so fucking stupid?" Andrew spat, standing from the bed now.

I became furious. I know that I had forgiven Noah rather quickly. But it has been seven fucking years, nearly a decade. I needed to let it go, and so did everyone else. I needed to forgive him for myself, not for anyone else's benefit. Regardless of the hurtful words Andrew was spitting at me, I knew I was doing the right thing.

"Shut up Andrew! Shut the hell up! If I remember correctly you weren't there for me either! The only person that was truly there for me was her" I said pointing to Libby, who was sitting uncomfortably on her side of the room now.