Chapter 3~Fall

I heave, pulling myself further above the ground. I sure hope the branches are sturdy, we are so high up in the tree. I look up at Lyth. She's climbing with great ease, leaping from branch to branch, amazingly avoiding all leaves and twigs on the way.

Finally I reach the top. Sticking my head through a bunch of sticks and leaves, I take a breath. The view is amazing. I see trees swaying in the breeze. Dragons playing with birds fly happily in the distance. The sun shines its brightest rays before it will set. A breeze blows through my hair and I smile. 

The last couple of days with this community have been insane. All the dragons got used to me pretty quickly, except for this one girl, called Maya. I don't know what her deal is but she doesn't seem to like me one bit. She was a little older than me in looks, but Lyth told me all these people are over hundreds of years old. I still find that difficult to believe. Dragons were not used to humans at all, so it was up to me to teach them how to accommodate me here. I informed them of how I need a pretty decently balanced diet, as opposed to their diet of "find an animal and eat it". You really don't wanna know how the toilets work here. But, after these last couple of days, I've settled in pretty nicely. After the group meeting the first day I arrived, I was taken to where my new home would be. A cute little hut by a river. I remember just laying down on my bed, an overload of thoughts swarming my head. Thinking about mum, dad, Mirroth, this whole unknown communty, Lawr... just.. everything really. Eventually the thoughts numbed my mind and I just slept and slept. But now I have a task. Stop Mirroth before she hurts anyone else. 

My thoughts are interrupted by a blue dragon flying overhead. It lets out a  friendly cry as it zooms over our heads playfully chasing a bird before zooming off again.

 It lets out a  friendly cry as it zooms over our heads playfully chasing a bird before zooming off again

Lyth finds a strong branch to sit down on and I follow. Her arms and legs are strong, but she is still elegantly stunning. I can't help but be a little bit envious.

I turn back to the world and sit in silence for a few moments.

"I'm sorry about your dad," Lyth says, looking at me with her bright blue eyes. She looks down when I don't say anything,.

"We're going to get revenge, you know that?" She tries again.

I wince slightly. 

"I sure hope so," I smile back.

From there we just make small talk until the last strips of light are gone. I finally focus and realize how dark it is.

"Wow where did the sun go?" Lyth jokes, hopping off the branch. Before I even begin climbing down she's halfway down the tree.

"Wow," I mutter under my breath.

I try to climb down the way Lyth is-or was, she's on the ground now. I slide down the branches, trying to fall and be swift. It works up until about halfway down.

I slide off a branch and quickly grab the one below. Trying to move fast, I grab the smaller branch below me and swing down to it and rapidly try to grab on to the thicker one next to it. My hand misses the branch and tries to lock on to anything it touches but there is nothing to grab. I look up at the branch my other hand is desperately trying to hold on to. It's such a thin branch but it's holding me up, for now.