Chapter 1 - Thinking

Chapter 1 

Thinking

The class room was hot and sweaty - stifling. Clark could think of nothing better to do then bash his head against the wood of his desk. It was amazing how mind-numbingly boring Maths could be when you knew everything the teacher said - plus a lot more. 

Clark was no ordinary kid. In fact, he probably wouldn't be exaggerating if he said he was the smartest person on the planet, but he didn't go yelling it from the rooftops.  

So, to his teacher and his peers, it looked as though Clark was simply not paying attention. 

"Clark!" yelled Mr. Jackson, "How many times must I tell you to pay attention to this algebra. You failed it completely in your last exam." 

This was true, but not because he hadn't been paying attention. Clark didn't exactly cherish the thought of being treated like an absolute nerd, having no privacy, being all over the news for being a child prodigy - like those ones in the documentaries. No, acting like a normal kid seemed the way to go, so he had purposely failed parts of his exams. 

So, instead of retorting to his teacher that he could pass every exam and IQ test that could possibly be thrown at him, he simply straightened from his slouch and pretended to be interested in what Mr. Jackson was saying. 

This quickly lost his interest once again so he began scanning the room to find something to distract him. A venus fly trap class project in the corner, a chart on straight line graphs. Ah, a boy sitting in the corner scribbling notes furiously. He would amuse Clark for a while. Or not...he just stared out the window, as usual.  

After class, Clark started to walk home. He lived by himself, even though he was only 14. His feet crunched over the dark gravel, and as he keyed in his pass-code, he wondered what he would do with his genius. 

He could be the first to do almost anything...except maybe perhaps those disgusting ones where people pulled buses with their eyelids. Clark shuddered at the thought. 

No...the world would remember him for something. In fluid motions he slid his finger over the scanner and put his eye up to his security monitor. He had built all this himself of course, but no one in history has been remembered for anything like that. Could you name who build the world's first fingerprint scanner? No you can't, don't lie. 

He continued his thoughts as he stepped into his modern house. It was a mix between a mad scientist's laboratory, and an electronics store. High-Tech graphs and wave-lengths were projected on multiple screens. Touch screen tables, like those ones in the sci-fi movies. Even a robotic butler, with movements so fluid you would swear he was real. 

Clark smirked. All was built by him. He truly was a genius. Perhaps hiding his intelligence was not the way to go. Perhaps he could be a billionaire. He was already very rich from adding a couple of zeros to his bank account, but billions would have to be gained through legal manners. Suddenly becoming a billionaire was just too suspicious. 

He opened the antique door to his Chinese meditation room. It had soothing, quiet music and a trickling waterfall flowing through the middle, sparkling from the sunlight, let in from the panel above. There was even wildlife in here too. Birds sang and frogs croaked. A miniature meadow of crisp, green grass swayed gently in the nearly non-existent breeze. This was the place Clark spent most of his time thinking, and it was huge. After much thought, Clark had an idea - A brilliant idea. An ambitious idea, yes, but a brilliant idea all the same.