Let's Paint the Roses Red

HELLO!

This is a (very) short story I came up with, inspired by a title. I think I'll do some more of them :)

TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK PLEASE!

.......................................................................................................

I entered the enormous ballroom on the arm of a particularly disgusting man that I'd met outside. If you looked right, you could get in anywhere. I felt his eyes on me constantly as we passed through the huge wooden doors and tried not to be sick. Nobody gave us a second glance as we entered the ball. We glided down the large staircase and into the party below. Not looking back, I shook him off and melted into the crowd. I was like everybody else here, all glamorous appearances and false smiles, apart from my mission was not to gain favour with the rich; it was to kill.

My crimson dress rustled on the stone floor and the heavy pendant around my neck glistened in the warm light of the chandelier. I quickly touched my fingertips to my coiffed hair, checking the thin dagger was still in its place among the pins and caramel blond curls. The crowd was awaiting the arrival of the royal family. Giggling women flitted through the crowd, looking for lords and rich merchants. The men spoke in hushed words about deals and waited to catch the eye of a pretty girl. I had no time for such things; I never had.

I moved through the crowd and chatted with the odd guest. Listening intently, but always watching the still empty thrones. I pulled away from the latest group and swirled my glass of wine, bored sick about talk of handsome men and new acquisitions. Moving to the edge of the room I sighed and waited. Something bumped into me and I was knocked to the side. The contents of my glass splashed across the floor and I swore under my breath, I did not need attention being drawn to myself tonight, not yet.

"If you touch me again I will break every one of your fingers" I hissed as I turned to whoever had knocked into me.

"What?" the man exclaimed and my breath caught in my throat. The scowl dropped from my face.

"Nothing" I smiled sweetly and batted my eyelashes. He melted physically, I sighed internally.

"Oh" he replied "I must have heard wrong, lady" He reached out towards me. I stepped away, hoping he wouldn't persist.

"I must go" I sighed in an attempt at a feminine voice, which worked like a charm.

"I hope I see you again" he bowed.

I smiled and quickly flitted away before he could say more. I sighed again, holding my forehead and putting my now empty glass on a table. I settled into the shadows. The stress was getting to me; that's why I'd forgotten my image and growled at the man. If I failed tonight, my whole life would have been a waste of time. I'd been brought up to be an assassin. A one-use killer. A disposable life. The eighteen years of my life so far, all culminated with this one act. This one kill.

The trumpets sounded and my heart raced. The time had finally come; the royals had arrived. Whispers and sighs rose from the crowd. An ocean of gemstone coloured dresses and smartly dressed men. The crowd hushed and the royal family entered. First came the oldest Prince. He smiled at the women in the crowd who swooned. I held back a laugh. Next came the Queen, a dainty and fragile creature, known for her large heart and utter inability to make decisions for herself. My heart sped up again as the one I'd been waiting for entered. The King. He glided in, all velvets and jewels. His dark eyes glistened with something I couldn't describe. Was it suspicion? Hatred? I couldn't tell. The crowd smiled in awe perfectly on cue. The family began to seat themselves in their thrones.

I stepped out from the shadows and moved into the crowd. Attempting to plaster a smile on my face. I was surprised no one could hear my heart; it was thumping so fast. The crowd was tightly packed and I struggled to move through. Every step was a step closer to my target, my fate, and my end. I pushed the thought aside and continued forward. I shook off the rough hands of men with false smiles and quick excuses. I had to finish this now; there was no time for anything else.

With my heart thumping like horses' hoof beats I slid the dagger from my hair. My curls tumbled around my shoulders. I pushed out of the crowd and faced my target. I was now at the front of the enormous gathering, directly in front of the platform the royals were seated on. This would be too easy; they hadn't anticipated attack so upfront. The crowd silenced their whispers and the family looked down at me. Time slowed as the King's dark eyes fixed on mine, burning into me. I didn't waste a second. With the precision and determination of eighteen years training, I launched the dagger. As it sped towards him the crowd gasped, the Queen cried out, the King's eyes widened in shock, and I did nothing. My whole life had been for this one moment and now it was over. Just like that. In a heartbeat.

The dagger struck true, right through his heart and he gurgled. Blood began to drip from his mouth and his eyes rolled. It felt like an anti climax. His head lolled, the crown crashing to the floor. The Queen screamed and rushed to her husband's side while the Prince sat dumbstruck.

I felt no regret for my killing, no pain or joy or relief. Just betrayal. All my short life had been for this moment. Training, fighting, being fed lines about my fated mission and the King's evil and now my life would end. I'd never contemplated it before. This waste of a life of mine, or the fact that I'd inevitably die. I'd never had a choice in any of this, never realised what a lie my life had been. I meant nothing. I wasn't human. I was a tool, a disposable weapon.

Every archer in the room turned to me, the crowd backed away. Over a hundred bows were aimed in my direction, ready to fire. I didn't feel afraid. I didn't feel sad.

"End her!" the Prince bellowed.

I didn't care. I had nothing to live for.

............................................................................

What cha' think? x ;)