Prologue

Run...

That's the only thing my mind would comprehend right now. Run away from this monster.

I'm running through the woods. That's all I know about where I am, the woods. It's cold and desolate. All I have on is a torn tee shirt and panties to shield me from the chill of the night time October air. I'm not shivering from that chill though, I'm shivering from fear.

My feet are bare and covered in cuts and scrapes from the rugged earth, but that didn't slow me down. My legs feel like jello but they are cooperating, for now. They are trying like hell to get me to safety even though they just want to collapse out from under me. I ran until my lungs hurt, until my chest felt like it was on fire. I pushed myself further and further until I was to the point that if I didn't stop, I would pass out.

Exhausted, I lean against a tree trying to catch my breath and take in my surroundings. I need to find a way out of these woods but all I can see is the dense forest. The fog is thickening, making visibility minimal. The only sounds I hear are the night time insects and their chirps. Civilization doesn't seem to exist out here. Where the hell am I? There has to be a road, a house, a shack, anything! He's going to kill me if he gets a hold of me again! It was sheer luck that I escaped his grasp the first time, he won't be making that same mistake again.

I can sense him. He's somewhere around, lurking, laughing at me because he knows I'm lost. I have no idea which way is which. When I left his cabin, I just ran straight out the door, as straight as I could considering the physical and emotional states I was in. I wasn't going to show my fear, though. There is a dam that is holding back the tears that are desperately trying to find there way out of their ducts. I won't let them. I need to stay strong to stay alive, even though my head is pounding and I can not think a coherent thought other than to keep myself alive. I look up at the moon. Damn it, the moonlight isn't bright enough to help guide me. The only thing I have going for me is my petite frame can easily hide in the darkened shrubs if I needed to.

As I steadied my breathing, I heard the snap of a twig. Crouching down as small as I could make myself, I covered my mouth with both hands to mask my whimpering and any other sounds I might make that would give away my hiding place. Sitting stock still, I listened as intently as I could, desperate to hear where the noise might have come from. I heard it again, this time with a rustling of leaves. There was no wind, no breeze to conjure up such a sound, it had to be made by someone. That someone being the man I'm desperately trying to escape from.

I looked around, praying that whoever was there was gone. At this point, I wasn't going to trust anyone until I found my way back to a town. He could have friends out here for all I know. The third time I heard it, I was panicking. He was right in front of me. I thought, 'there's no way he could find me, I am hidden in the brush!' Relief flooded me when I saw a deer instead of him. The deer turned to look at me, stared for a few moments, then walked away. I sighed closing my eyes. Slowly standing back up, I opened my eyes ready to start running again, when I heard "Boo!" I screamed as that solid dam holding back the tears finally burst. His deathly gaze turned into a smirk with the reply, "I've got you now, Liz".

************************************************************************************************************ 

Please let me know what you think! I have the story line planned out, so if you guys like it, I will continue. Thanks for reading! Please fan, comment, and vote if you feel it deserves it :-)

Jen 

xoxo