Chapter 1

I sat silently in my Dad's car, my left knee shaking uncontrollably.

"Isn't that right, Elanoure?" Someone in front of me said, bringing me back to reality. I looked up and saw my Dad and Step-Mum grinning at me through the rear-view mirror. I sharply tilted my head to the side and blinked up at them in confusion.

"I was just telling Abigail here how excited you are about starting at your new school!"

Dad said, motioning to Abigail then to the pamphlet that lay in my shaking knees. Blushing, I firmly put my hands on my legs to stop them from going crazy; smiling when I succeeded.

"I'm sure you'll be fine, Hun!" Abigail said, plastering on an obvious fake smile, and looking at me with mock sympathy. "I know starting at a new school can be difficult for you, and you will feel scared or nervous at times-" 

"I'm not scar-" I started to say, but got cut off by Abigail.

"But I want you to know that your Dad- I mean we," She laughed nervously. "Are here for you."

She said, flashing me a quick toothpaste advertisement smile that has won over millions in the past, including Dad.

I scoffed quietly, then quickly threw my head up to see if either of them had noticed. They hadn't. They were too busy talking amongst themselves. I looked back down and over-heard Abigail talking about some jewellery she saw in a shop.

Expensive jewellery.

I laughed slightly, shaking my head and peered out of the window, watching the houses and trees fly by.

Here's the deal.

Dad's rich, and Abigail's pretty and persuasive. She gets whatever she wants, whenever she wants it, and Dad just goes along with it; not wanting to make his poor Abigail upset. They've only been married for just under three months, but he's already spending bucket loads of cash on her! In my eyes, she's an evil gold digger, but he loves her, so I don't say anything. He once said to me that he was really lucky to have found another woman like her, after Mum died.

I shook my head and mentally wiped a stray tear, mentally pulling myself together. I propped myself near the window with my elbows, as I'd somehow managed to slip off before, and gazed out, expecting to see lots of houses and other buildings, but insteadseeing nothing but lots and lots of greenland.