Chapter Two - Ice & Salt

Chapter Two — Ice & Salt

            It was a cloudy morning, yet the sun somehow still found a way to shimmer down, warming my skin. It was barely past dawn, but I was reclining on the porch swing in the back yard, a mug of cold milk clutched tightly in my hand. From time to time, I would sip from the cup, enjoying the taste of my favorite beverage. I wasn’t fond of my strange sleeping habits, but I was appreciating the liberty to wander outside on my own — just a few days ago, I needed written permission and a nurse at my side to sit outside.

Ridiculous.

Harboring bad memories was only putting me in a foul mood, so I quickly pushed those thoughts to the deepest corner of my mind. A gentle breeze caused the swing to sway along with the current, and I silently stared off into space, allowing my mind to wander off with the wind. It still felt odd, having the freedom to do what I wanted, when I wanted. Other than the fact I couldn’t go anywhere as long as Louise wasn’t by my side.

A slamming door broke me from my thoughts, and I soon found myself gazing over toward my neighbor’s backyard. There wasn’t a fence or anything that divided our yard from theirs; I guess there was just a silent, mutual agreement to respect each other’s property. My eyes narrowed once I spotted Conner slipping on a leather jacket, exiting his home in a seriously suspicious manner. I took another sip from my mug, watching as the boy rounded his house and disappeared, unbeknownst to my spying on him.

“I wonder what his problem is.” The outburst shattered my quiet sanctuary, and I nearly dropped my mug of milk. My heart was racing so hard against my chest I could have sworn it was ready to break a rib or two. I pivoted on the swing, expecting the worse. A sigh of relief almost escaped me when I saw that it was only Matthew standing behind me, a guilty look washing over his features.

“Please don’t do that. It… doesn’t help.” The Valium I took before coming out was in effect; the anxiety that seized my chest was being grounded, but I still couldn’t help but feel panicked. I’ve been alone and isolated for so long that I was still getting used to people being around me.

“I’m sorry, Josie. I shouldn’t have snuck up on you like that. I should have known better.” Matthew sounded apologetic, so I couldn’t hold it against him. To be honest, I wasn’t even sure how much he knew about what exactly happened — yeah sure, Louise probably mentioned my rehabilitation, but details could have easily been excluded.

“I swear it’s fine. It was an honest mistake.” I smiled at Matthew, trying to convince him that I was alright, “but what were you saying about Conner? Is he always so noisy at dawn?”

He eyed me suspiciously before shaking his head at me, a ghost of a smile dancing along his lips. “I know what you’re trying to do, Josie. You’re curious about him and I know you want to make friends, but Louise was right when she said you should stay away from Conner. You need a calm, peaceful environment to rest and get better, and he’s the exact opposite.”

I knew Matthew was just trying to make me wary of Conner, but I couldn’t help all the questions that immediately sparked in me. Was Conner dangerous? Or was he just trying to portray himself as some badass rebel? I hated not knowing any answers, but Mathew was a dead end. If Louise was so against me knowing anything about Conner, I was sure Matthew would keep his mouth shut for the sake of their relationship.

“Okay, I’ll drop it. My lips are sealed.” I made a motion of locking my lips in exaggeration. “Why are you out here so early, though? Does Louise need me for something?”

Matthew’s disapproval quickly vanished from his features and a cheerful grin appeared along his lips, the corners of his mouth twitching upward. “It’s not my surprise to tell, but come back inside for a moment.”