Emotions Spilling Over

Hey, guys! I think I've got some ideas now for the next few chapters. :3 You guys had some pretty awesome ideas that didn't even cross my mind!! Like usual, I will mention you in the chapter that I use- or start to use, if your idea(s) are long term- your idea(s) in. You guys are super, super awesome! Thanks a bunch!!
        For this chapter, the song used is "Just a Little Faster" by There For Tomorrow. Thanks to Queen of Spades(Quotev(I LOVE YOUR PROFILE PICTURE! :D )) and Lucy1388(Wattpad(I ALSO LOVE YOUR PROFILE PICTURE! :D )) for suggesting that I do more with Phantoms!! (I will use some ideas from all of you guys that commented, just not all in this chapter) :) By the way, guys, feel free to message me! I really, truly love getting messages and talking about whatever! FREE HUGS FOR EVERYONE! -opens arms-

--------

        "Yato? I'm sorry. For leaving. There was this strange feeling. I don't understand it, even now. But it must just be my curiosity getting the best of me."
        "I want you to stay away from Nora."

        You sighed, leaning against the wall as flashbacks of your first encounter with Nora flooded your mind. It's been a week since Yato placed the knife in your hands and took a step back. Little did you know that night what that step back meant. Yato has been avoiding you and rarely spoke to you. He would barely even look at you. There were times where you both made eye contact, but he would immediately advert to something else. That step back- it wasn't just a mere step back. It was a leap back.
        "Oh, you're up, Miyuki." You looked up to see Yukine standing at the doorway. "Hiyori's school is having a cultural festival today and anyone is invited. She said you wanted to see her school a while back, so now would be the perfect time. Do you want to go together?" After a few seconds Yukine blushed and his eyes widened. "I-I didn't mean it like that! I j-just meant... Er, I mean, Hiyori and Yato will be going, too, of course." You were unable to hold back a small smile and stood up.
        "I would love to go. Together. With everyone else." You both had awkward smiles plastered on your faces.
        "Oh, the puppy and the kitty are getting along a little too well this morning! How cute!" Kofuku exclaimed.
        "It's not like that!" You both yelled together. But of course, Kofuku remained unphased.
        "I should go get my phone to take pictures!"
        "I lost my appetite," mumbled with your head hung low.
        "Oh, right! I still need to make breakfast. Whoops!" With that, Kofuku skipped out of the room. You and Yukine exchanged looks and let out a sigh.
        "Kofuku." Yukine started shaking his head.
        "Enough said," you agreed.

~~~
(Yukine's POV)

        Miyuki and I both entered the main room. But then it happened again. Miyuki and Yato made eye contact, but Yato immediately looked away and it didn't take long for Miyuki's head to drop slightly.

        Hiyori, I hope your plan works. Everything should work out... I just hope we can get them to get along again. What happened between them, anyway?

~~~
(Your POV)

        You and Yato walked on opposite sides of Yukine on your way to the festival. As for Hiyori, she was already there. She had a few last things to take care of and she would have to work at her class's contribution for a while. Yukine tried starting up conversations on the way there multiple times with one of you, then tried to bring the other into the conversation. What ended up happening was, the minute he started talking to one of you, the other stopped listening. After what felt like hours, you were all there. Your eyes widened and you took in the scene. There were tons of people, which you were rather uncomfortable with, but it was nice to see all the smiles. There were plenty of booths and Cherry Blossom trees and the scent of fresh food was overwhelming. You could also hear people running and talking and laughing and, in the distance, music was playing. The excitement washed over the guilt and worry that had been building up inside of you. "This is-"
        "Amazing," Yukine finished for you. You looked over to see he had the same expression. "Right, Yato?"
        "It is," Yato agreed, silently examining the area. You all started to walk in but the students handing out flyers didn't even acknowledge you.  Part of you was upset for obvious reasons, but another part of you was okay with it due to your shyness. You shook your head, trying to fully enjoy this. You smiled at a thought that popped into your mind.

        Akiko-chan would have enjoyed this.

        "Hey, Yato. There should be plenty of free food here," Yukine said with a grin.
        "Then we'll just have to raid all of the booths and classrooms!" Yato said, clenching his fist in determination.
        "And Miyuki, they have music playing and events to go to." You smiled and nodded. "Alright, let's hit food stands as we look around." Occasionally Yukine would break off a piece of whatever they got from the stand they just raided and insist you tried it, and you did. Yukine was currently speaking with Yato as you walked, leaving your mind to drift off.

        "I nominate Yori-chan to be in charge! She's responsible and reliable and always goes above and beyond what is asked! She's creative and nice, too! But at the same time, she makes sure things get done." a girl exclaimed, jumping up from her seat.
        "One vote for Yori. Anyone second that vote?" the teacher asked.
        "Dai-chan, you know I have to watch over Akiko-chan," you told the girl.
        "I also nominate Yori-chan for the position," a male said, standing up.
        "No, Naoko-kun, sit down!" you scolded quietly.
        "Any other nominations?" the teacher asked. There was silence. "Alright, then Yori is in charge of our class's cafe for this year's cultural festival. It will take place in this room. We will start preparations tomorrow."
        "You guys," you mumbled, burying your face in your hands, "I don't think I can pull this off. I need to watch over Akiko-chan."
        "Then bring her! Senpai is understanding. Maybe Akiko-chan could help out. She does always look cute in a kimono, so surely she'd be adorable in a uniform! And she's a hard worker. She's a well-disciplined kid. She takes after her Nee-chan!" Dai said, tilting her head with a smile.
        "She's right, Yori. You take great care of her, so she looks up to you and acts like you. Besides, you're one of the best students in this class. You'll do just fine," Naoko joined in.

        "Miyuki? Miyuki!"
        "Hmm?" you asked, snapping out of it. You looked up at Yukine.
        "Are you alright? You seemed detached. Sort of dazed," he mentioned. Yato even held his gaze on you.
        "Yeah, no, I'm fine. Just a bit out of it is all," you insisted.
        "Perhaps we shouldn't stay late," Yato said, actually joining the conversation.
        "No, I'm fine, really! Besides, we haven't seen Hiyori yet!" Yukine placed his wrist on your forehead.
        "She doesn't feel warm." You noticed a look on Yato's face. There was a hint of worry in his expression. As wrong as this sounded, you felt a bit happy at that.

        He's worried about me. That means that he still cares about me.

        "Really, I'm fine," you repeated in a more convincing voice. There was a smile on your lips- one that was much more sincere than before. He watched you a bit longer with a skeptical look.

~~~
(Yato's POV)

        "Alright," I finally replied. The music started to grow louder.

        "You said you always keep your word, show me what you're after
        I thought you promised me the world, tell me what you're after
        Go on and take it way too far 'cause here we are waiting once again
        You said you always keep your word, show me what you're after
        Just a little faster

        Hold your breath now, the bad blood's wearing thin
        From the pain that settles in when we learn too much too soon
        Hold your breath now, the bad blood's wearing thin
        From the pain that settles in when we learn too much too soon(too soon)

        You said you always keep your word, show me what you're after
        I thought you promised me the world, tell me what you're after
        Go on and take it way too far 'cause here we are waiting once again
        You said you always keep your word, show me what you're after"

        Damn this torment.

        "Come on, let's go visit Hiyori," Miyuki suggested. The two looked at me with hopeful eyes, but I was eager to leave. This wasn't good for Miyuki, or for me. But still, they were both so happy and they wouldn't understand. It wouldn't be fair to Hiyori, either.
        "Okay, then let's go," I said with a nod.

        Miyuki, hold your breath.

        "Hey, guys!" Hiyori greeted. Her class was doing a cafe, which was amazingly decorated. The rounded tables had fancy cloths over them and chairs much like those of a real cafe. Their menus were decorated and even laminated. Hiyori was wearing cafe-like uniform and her face was lit up. "Oh, wait here, I should introduce you to my friends!" Hiyori called over two friends, who took a minute to be able to see them all, and started introducing everyone.
        "Smells nice..." My head shot in the direction of Miyuki, but there wasn't a Phantom in sight. I glanced over at the doorway, only to see a giant Phantom slithering down the hallway. "No one likes our class's idea. It was pathetic. We wasted this year."
        "Sekki!" I ran into the hallways with the katana in my hand.

        I could easily get rid of this Phantom with Miyuki, but that wouldn't be good for her. Hang in there, Yukine.

        This Phantom in particular was fast and there wasn't much space to move around in the hallways. I bolted towards the Phantom, but he was just taking us in one giant circle. "A line!" A strong barrier was created right in front of the Phantom- one that only Miyuki could make. I charged at the being, but it slipped past. The barrier disappeared. "Yato, use me!" Miyuki called out, but I was already chasing the Phantom.

        I can't. I've done so too many times.

        The Phantom soon led to outside. I jumped in the air. "You who would desecrate this land of the rising sun!" I forcefully plunged through the Phantom. "With my advent, I, the Yato god," I panted, "lay waste with the Sekki and expel thy vast defilement!" I jumped back into the air. The katana unevenly ripped through the Phantom multiple times. "Rend!" I dropped back onto the ground and wiped the sweat from my face. "Good work, Yukine." We both leaned over, gasping for air. Footsteps grew louder until a shadow came into view. My hand flew to my cheek in pain.
        "You didn't use me." Her voice was pained. I could see her fists clench, and immediately I knew her eyes were watering. "You could have easily beaten the Phantom with me. And you always used me for the larger Phantoms. But not this time. You are doubled over, drawing in sharp breaths, as is Yukine, and you have blight on your cheek. You'd rather get blight than use me." I continued staring at the ground, unable to look up and meet her eyes. A drop of water splattered onto the pavement, and finally, her voice cracked. "I want to go home."