Government

The governing body of the Commune is upheld by four entities known as the Council of the Elders. The Council is comprised of two men over age forty-five and two women over age fifty.

The position may be passed down from spouse to spouse or parent to child. This is generally the preferred means of election because Elders are believed to be the most upstanding members of the community. Due to their moral purity, it is believed that their good traits are ones they pass on to their children or recognize in their spouse.

Elders are carefully selected after an assessment of their life's contributions to the commune as well as merit of character. These character traits are abnegation, honesty, objective judgment, and a sound moral compass (including religious piety). A new Elder may only be elected when another Elder dies.

The process of election is kept very quietly under wraps, but is often the talk and speculation of the entire village. It is a process that consumes a week of time; first, the remaining Council chooses two men or two women whom they feel will be good candidates. The second stage of the process involves a private hearing with the family of those two who have been chosen, followed by an interview of the rest of the community on an individual basis. The interviewees are sworn to secrecy and are not allowed to speak of what was discussed in confidence. On the fourth and fifth days, the candidates are both tested and interviewed to further screen their capabilities and competence for the position at hand. The three Elders sitting on the council take the sixth day to discuss the candidates until a unanimous decision is reached.

On the morning of the seventh day, an elaborate church service takes place. The sermon discusses the history of the Council, what it stands for, and why it is important to the commune that the right person is chosen. At the end of the sermon (usually late afternoon), the new Elder is named and a celebration commences. The service disperses back to their homes while the new Elder is administered his rites of passage. He or She is then paraded through the streets, stopping into each home for the blessing of the resident. These blessings are often given in the forms of a light meal, a tankard of ale, or something of sentimental value. The blessings are seen as a symbol of generosity and trust.

At the end of the blessings, the new Elder makes a speech at the church, one that is not so different from what we would view at a presidential candidate's election win.