Protected by the Predator

Even the predator has something it protects.

***

First entry

'When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.'

It was round about ten in the evening, we sat opposite each other in the dining area playing cards.

I glanced at my cards before tuning my gaze onto him. He wore a black t-shirt with black combat trousers, he lowered his eyebrows lowered. His chocolate brown eyes bored into my green ones, his lip twitched ever so slightly if I were to blink I would of have missed it. Then he sighed.

"I've lost, haven't I." he said with a deep British accent, I nodded once. In frustration he threw his cards onto the table facing upwards. I saw them. He lost, big time. I smiled before laying my cards out in plain view, for him to see just how much he had lost. He frowned again in frustration, he took the all the cards and started shuffling them.

"Do you really want to play again, Lance?" I asked in frustration.

"Yer, why not? I mean what can't kill you only makes you stronger." He winked at me because I am a natural predator. I shook my head in defeat; he had already lost 15 times today. I truly did not know what could break him. Lance Brown was a massive six feet 2", he had a killer build and a stunning face. I've seen woman drop to his feet, literary, seriously this guy had killer looks a great body and with that top notch British accent he was first class.

Half way through shuffling the deck we heard the door click open, a man in his early forties walked in wearing grey ironed shirt, black trousers and black shiny shoes. Richard. He looked worn out. When he saw me he smiled. I smiled back in return and then raised my eyebrows when I noticed he had a black folder tucked under his arm. Richard never brings work back with him, if so he would leave it in his dorm, he would never show us his work; it was all top secret.

Everything was top secret.

It was probably documents about a new job. I haven't had a job for a week now and Lance didn't have a job for three weeks no wonder he looked excited.

"How are you kids doing?" Richard asked with his deep Welsh accent. Richard was like my surrogate mother or father; he took me in on my mother's wishes and raised me like his own.

"Fine, I'm just beating him in cards, as usual." I replied casually with a smile.

"No, no you see 22," 22 is Richards number, he's Agent 22. "I'm letting her win. As the mature adult I am" Lance mature? "and we all know what happens if she doesn't get her way." Lance tried hard to defend himself, but we all knew that he was rubbish at any card games and people try their best not to anger me.

My temper is known worldwide.

"So what have got?" Lance pointed at the black folder under Richards arm; Richard ruffled his dark brown/slowly turning grey hair.

"Ah, this is for you Koko, you've got a new assignment." He gave me the black folder, it was marked 'LIGHT' which usually meant discrete or 'get the job done and don't get noticed'. I raised my eyebrow.

"What is about?" I asked whilst browsing the folder content.

"It's a Protect assignment." Richard replied simply.

"What?? Why are they asking a Predator to Protect?" I was confused; all of my recent assignments were for me to be the Predator meaning that I had to hunt and kill the Prey: man, woman or child. In other words I am your assassin, your hired gun.

"It's a request for a bodyguard?" Richard smiled, he was happy I knew that because for a long time he requested for me to take Protect assignments. Richard didn't like it that I was a Predator, I mean who would like it if the child they raised ended up known for being an assassin, the hired gun.