Chapter 5

Honestly, I'm not sure if anyone is still reading this, but I had a half-finished chapter rolling around and a desperate need to take a break from North for an hour :)  

If someone said, “Stepmother” to me, I’d immediately think of Cinderella’s beastly guardian: a haggard, old shrew.  A dried up, petty child-abuser with a pinched mouth and grey hair scraped into a grandma bun.

So, when I turned my face skyward to greet Cas’ stepmom, I wasn’t expecting a goddess.

The woman on the balcony looked way too young to be anybody’s mother.  She could barely have been over thirty, and a stunning thirty at that.  Her pixie-like face was a study in angles and straight lines, severe and elegant. 

She was so slender, I wondered if she would blow off the balcony, while her height gave her already aristocratic appearance an even greater boost – she literally looked down her nose at people.  With perky brests jutting out from her gossamer green gown, her gorgeous proportions would have made Tolkien’s elves livid with jealousy.

It was the hair which caught my attention.  Poker-straight, the pale blonde strands fell in a sheet to the small of her back, where it waved in a shiny platinum curtain.  Hair envy set in big time.  When you put it altogether, she was literally the most exquisite and most intimidating person I’d ever seen.

Cas called up introductions.  “Regent!  May I present, Princess Misty, my future bride!”

Something dark glittered in her eyes as she studied me, a malicious intent which flickered for only a second before hiding behind a cutting smile.  “Darling Casimir!  Why don’t we meet in the drawing room?  This is no way to introduce the most important woman in your life to someone new!”

Not for a second did I think she mean me.  I clung to Cas’ arm tightly as she spun around and swept out of sight.  “Cas…  I’m not sure about this.”

He waved to the still watching crowd, who cheered as we climbed the broad aqua steps into the palace.  “I’m right here, my lady.  Don’t tell me my step-mother frightens you?”

“Perhaps just a little.” I maintaining a smile for the people.  “And that’s weird, because I’m really good with mothers.”

“Oh really?”

“Truly.  Mothers love me; I’m totally adorable.”

He laughed, and kissed me on the tip of my nose as we stepped inside.  “Yes, you are.  My step-mother has only ever wished for my happiness.  You make me happy, and therefore, she’s been wishing for you.  She’ll love you.”

Unsure, I followed him through the vaulted palace entrance, the roof far above our heads, with crystal chandeliers dangling and throwing refracted light everywhere.  Two stupendous staircases snaked up to the higher floors, covered in navy carpet, while servants and staff seemed to appear from every doorway, eager to catch a glimpse of us.

Cas lead us down to the furthest doorway, which opened into a beautiful room decorated in aqua and white.  The wide windows looked directly out to sea, and the vista of the ocean took my breath away.

Standing out against the décor of the room was a high-backed chair of jade velvet.  On it sat the Regent, her legs crossed gracefully.  As we entered, she rose and extended both hands to Cas.

“My darling Casimir!” she crooned.  “Come and give your Sweet-pea a hug!”

We moved forward, Cas holding my hand tightly.  As he raised his other arm to wrap around his step-mother, she craftily slid her arm down, forcing him to lose his grip on me and embrace her with both hands.