Chapter 1: The Flight Suit

"You're wearing that dress I like." He said, softly caressing the back of her sky blue dress.
"Joseph Barnes," Jackie said in frustration next to the pale yellow kitchen sink. "what on God's green earth did you get on your flight suit?" She held up her husbands uniform, a large stain splattered across the top. She turned the water temperature up and scrubbed harder.
"The pattern reminds me of clouds." He said as he traced the dress with his finger then pushing an auburn ringlet out of her face.
"Joseph." She threw down the flight suit in the soapy water.
He leaned against the Formica countertop, crossing his arms, and shrugging. "Uh I don't know, motor oil?"
"It's not motor oil. If it was motor oil I would have gotten it out by now."
"Then I don't know, dear. I must have laid in something on me by accident. I'll be more careful next time, how bout that?" He wrapped his arms around her waist and kissed her neck. "Where are we going to go on vacation?" He asked, dreamily looking out the kitchen window and into their rocky backyard.
"Vacation?" Jackie asked with a laugh, picking up the flight suit once again. "We don't get vacations, we get a week off for Thanksgiving and Christmas to go see family and that's about it."
He rested his chin on her shoulder, "Well what if we did take a real vacation- anywhere in the world! Where would you  want to go?"
Jackie stopped scrubbing and thought about it for a moment. A real vacation? California sounded fun, full of movie stars and celebrities. Canada, maybe? Someplace that isn't hot where the tree grow tall and the snow falls down in beautiful white blankets.
She snapped back to reality, "As much as I would love to, you know we can't do that." She turned around to face him, her green eyes meeting his blue ones. "Why are you being like this this morning?"
"Maybe stop by the store and grab some travel brochures, we can talk more about it later."
Joseph dropped his gaze and looked down at his wristwatch, "It's that time, I gotta go to work." He sprung to retrieve his cap from the coat rack by the door and Jackie followed. He paused before stepping outside into the hot Nevada sun, "Jackie can you do something for me? If anyone from work comes by the house, let them in?"
She gave him a perplexed smile, "Are you expecting someone?"
"No, no," he shook his head and looked down at his feet, running his fingers along the brim of his cap. "Just- just let them in, okay?"
She nodded, "You're acting strange, but I will. Is everything okay?"
A smile crossed his face, "Everything is fine. Have a good day, dear." He kissed her, a little more tender and longer than usual. Donning his cap and opening the front door, he left the house, giving her one last smile before getting in his car and pulling out from under the carport.
Jackie went back to the stained flight suit, scrubbing until her hands went red from the hot water and she forgot about what her husband said.