Introduction

HOMEMADE DYNAMITE
(Stranger Things)

•••

how is it so easy for you to be kind to people he asked

•••

milk and honey dripped from my lips as i answered

•••

cause people have not been kind to me

•••

Before Jennifer Wilson was given her name, she was referred to as Seven. It wasn't some silly childhood nickname, but her actual name. She only knew this because of the small tattoo on her left wrist with the three small numbers signifying her name: 007.

When Seven was a baby, she had been taken by an organization of bad people. They experimented on many other children besides her. The scientists gave them all abilities. Abilities that even scared the scientists.

All of the children were taught to control and use their abilities instead of regular childhood things, like talking, reading, math, science, and other things most regular children learned. But the kids in Hawkins Laboratory were deprived of their childhood.

However, Seven was special. She could speak, and not just a couple words. No, she could carry out sentences with the scientists, she could understand the demands they gave her. That was the only thing that set her apart from the others.

Others. Seven hardly saw the other children. Every once in a while she would see Eight in the corridor, but the only reassurance she got that she wasn't the only child, were the occasional screams of defiance or pain that echoed throughout the laboratory.

The day that changed for Seven. She woke up, ate breakfast, did some tests, but then everything changed. She discovered a new ability that day, and she didn't even know she discovered it until she got up and walked right out of the room without anyone stopping her.

She ran through the winding corridors, ears ringing from the alarms that blared. Men in white suits with weapons strapped to them ran past her and didn't even see her. For the first time in a long time Seven smiled, because she was standing in the lobby of the laboratory. The glass doors that stood in front of her seemed to glow for the sun was shining through and the trees rustled from the wind.

Seven had a million thoughts running through her head as she stepped outside of the lab. So, she did the only thing that made sense in her jumbled brain: run. She ran for what seemed like miles, sweat was dripping down her forehead and she could no longer feel her muscles.

She had been running in the middle of a road unaware that a car could run her over. She discovered that when a semi truck was driving in the distance right toward her. She thought it would just pass her because of her new ability, but she was wrong.

It wasn't until it was too close for comfort that it came to a screeching halt. Seven was confused, she had never seen any sort of contraption as this. She could see the faint outline of someone in the drivers seat, so she walked around the the passenger door where the man reached over and opened it.

The frazzled, young man looked at the girl wide eyed. He was speechless and she wordlessly climbed in the passenger seat of the semi truck. When the man asked the young girl with a shaved head and wearing a hospital gown what her name was, she showed him her wrist with the numbers 007.

That was the day Seven became Jennifer Wilson.

That was the day a little girl was given the chance to have a childhood.

That was the day James Powell gave a lost little girl a home.