Chapter One

Cain Road 2012

“Jake!” Kelly Robertson called as her boyfriend, Jake Smith, continued down the road with his best friend, Zack Robertson, hot on his heels. “You know you’re not supposed to go to that house!”

“Kells, chill!” Jake yelled back at his girlfriend pausing in his step to give her one last smirk. “If you’re so worried than why don’t you come with us. You might actually have a little fun,” he teased.

“Whatever,” she crossed her arms standing firm at the edge of her family’s road. “If you wanna get yourself hurt then be my guest.”

“Don’t worry sis, I’ll bring him back in one piece,” Zack laughed slamming a hand on Jake’s back.

“I don’t get why you guys have to go play at the old house when you know it’s dangerous,” Kelly sighed.

“That’s what makes it fun,” the devilish look on Jake’s face drew a smile across Kelly’s lips. She gave her head a quick shake and threw her arms up.

“Alright, fine. I’ll be here. Have fun.”

“Thanks Kells!” Jake gave her a wink as Zack moved around him pulling his backpack higher over his shoulder. “I’ll make it up to you.”

“I’ll believe it when I see it,” she waved him off. Jake took the opportunity while Zack’s back was turn to mouth, ‘I love you’ and waited for her to say it back with a smile before he raced after Zack.

“Jake! Slow down man!” Zack called reaching the sharp elbow turn in the road.

“Slow down? This is nothing!” Jake quickened his pace. “I thought you wanted to hurry and get there?”

“I do!” Zack laughed breaking into a sprint out in front of Jake. The two young adults broke into a playful race towards the large fence that surrounded the property they were heading too. Zack’s body was familiar to running being a part of his high school football team, but when it came to short distance running Jake had him beat, having competed on the varsity track team taking home second place.

As they were almost to the end of the road Jake overtook Zack with ease. He threw down the backpack and lifted his arms up in victory.

“You lose!” Zack yelled jumping up against the fence and flinging his body over the top.

“What?” Jake gasped as Zack landed soundly on the ground on the other side of the fence.

“I’m first in the yard,” Zack smugly announced.

“That’s cheating!” Jake grunted picking back up the bag.

“Quit whining and toss me the bag, or do you need me to help you over?” Zack teased.

“I got it.”

Jake tossed the bag over the fence and proceeded to climb over much slower than Zack, but he managed.

They had visited the yard plenty of times, never running into anyone, and knew they could safely approach the house. The grass was hip high in some areas and barren in others. Vines climbing up one part of the house as the other half somehow managed to keep clean though the off white paint was not tarnished, cracked, and peeling.

“Come on,” Jake said making his way slowly towards the old house.

“Be careful!” Zack grabbed Jake’s arm to stop him before he got hurt.

In front of them were four lines of barbed wire stopping at about their shoulder?

“I saw that,” Jake rolled his eyes dropping the bag to the ground and rummaging around until he found the cutters. “I got this.”