Prologue

Running. Running. That's what we were doing. Glancing to the side I saw Fred still running at my pace. We were headed toward the yellow eyes. Of course he would be by my side but we had to get to Diego before it was too late. I growled as I continued running. Fred slowed and it took me a moment to realize he had stopped. Stopping myself I turned and stared up at my friend. "Your not coming?" He shook his head at me. "It's obvious he's been lying to us this entire time and I am not sticking around to be used as a pawn in someone's sick game. I was going to head off on my own. See the world. Experience everything. Well...I was going to go out on my own but the more I thought of it the more I was hoping you would come with me." I looked up at him shocked to hear this and it made me smile. I nodded but turned back toward where we were to meet the yellow eyes before I looked back at him. "I will but please. First may we get Diego first. He is a friend as well. One I would like to keep. Please." He thought about it for a moment before glancing up at me and nodding. "Very well. If you vogue for him then he can join our coven."

I smiled and rushed to hug him. "Thank you Fred. Now we should hurry. Wouldn't want to loose him before we finally begin." With that we turned and hurried after the army in hopes to catch Diego before its even begun. As we neared I scented Riley's scent heading away from the battle. I hissed. Coward. I heard Fred hiss too. I could only assume that it was the same reason. But then suddenly as we grew closer another scent was there but it cut off and caused me to stop. Fred rushed passed me, not expecting me to stop but then soon once he realized it he turned and stared back at me. "Bree? Everything....Is that...?" I nodded hearing him and glanced back at him. "Can you let him see us? Please." I knew the moment he let his repulse shield down.

Just as soon as it was down I scented and heard something familiar and my head snapped up as someone jumped out of the tree next to me. Smiling I wrapped my arms around the man in a tight hug. "Diego. He was telling the truth for once." He returned the hug but shook his head pulling away. "No. He was lying. As soon as I realized what he was going to do I escaped but I didn't have a chance to come back for you. So I decided to wait. I knew if I returned he would kill me. So I ran. I went to the yellow eyes and, Bree, they are nothing like he described. They are good vampires. They feed differently but are kind. They are a family." I stared up at him and disbelief wondering about what he said. Was he telling the truth? Were they really a family? Was it possible for a coven to be a family? I glanced toward Fred who seemed just as confused as I but I had no reason to doubt Diego. In the two short days I knew him he had been completely honest with me. "Alright. I believe you." Fred quickly agreed since he trusted me. "Can we meet them?" Diego smiled happily and nodded.

"Of course. They promised we could wait at their home. Follow me." Soon he was off and I glanced toward Fred how seemed hesitant but I nodded and then we were both running after Diego but we both smell the scent of burning vampires and saw the purple smoke. I hoped Riley and she were one of those burning vampires. After about 10 or maybe it was 15 seconds of running we reached a clearing. Diego had slowed to a human jog pace. Fred and I followed his lead. Walking into the clearing we glimpsed the gorgeous home. It was timeless, graceful, and probably a hundred years old. It was painted a soft, faded white, three stories tall, rectangular and well proportioned. The windows and doors were either part of the original structure or a perfect restoration.

Fred and I had the same reaction to the beautiful house. We were shocked and surprised but it was oh so beautiful. Diego was eager to return to the home with the yellow eyes. I looked down at the ground confused as to why and what they were really like. We reached the porch of the home before I knew it. Diego walked and stood on the porch. I went into a crouch and remained like that staring off at nothing in particular. I didn't realize it but Fred had taken the spot next to me. Crouched down in a defensive and protective stance. I sensed Fred had raised his repulse shield to cover himself as well as myself.