Prologue

The full moon was shining bright in the sky on that silent night. Only the sound of the forest's nightlife could be heard. A single howl broke through the night, echoed by others who heard it. The clear water of the lake reflect back the forest surrounding it.

A girl, wearing clothes fit for a Queen, sat on the edge of the lake. Blood tracks clear on her pale cheeks. She looked down at the lake and saw her own reflection staring back at her. The duller, paler, and weaker version of herself. Her eyes full of pain and longing for her mate. The mate that couldn't careless about her well being. Who would rather spend his days avoiding her and nights in another's embrace. She remembered the hateful looks he gave her, those dazzling forest-green eyes that never held even an ounce of love for her. The words that left his mouth went straight to her heart and broke it to pieces. His refusal to be there for her, killed her broken spirit. He even refused to be in the same room as her, when she needed him the most.

She never understand why he acted that way. Was it something that she'd done? What was so wrong with her that he wouldn't even give her a chance to fix them? Why wasn't she good enough?

This is what she was trained for her whole life, being the perfect mate. Being someone her mate could rely into. Being someone who would always be there with open arms. And the list goes on. Seventeen years of learning and she still failed. The single task she needed to do and she had failed before she even tried.

She remembered that look of disappointment on her father's eyes whenever he looked at her. His voice saying that she was a failure.

She couldn't take it anymore.

More tears stream down her eyes. Red tracks staining her cheeks and drip to the ground.

She couldn't help but think that maybe everyone was better off without her. Her mate wouldn't be tied into something he hated. She would no longer be someone's burden. She closed her eyes and looked away. She was oblivious to the sound of feet approaching her until it stops right behind her and grabbed her hands.

A hand muffled the sudden scream that left her mouth. She trashed around and try to get free, but her weakened state and her captor's supernatural strength wouldn't let her. A stabbing pain came from her abdomen. She looked down on her body and saw something small sticking out of her stomach. A black cloth suddenly covered her eyes, making her unable to see where her captor was taking her. The pressure from the small object impaled on her body disappear as she felt the object taken out. Instantly, her body tries to close the wound and stop the bleeding but it didn't go as fast as it supposed to. Blood drip slowly from her wound into the path her captor choose.

She tried to use the pathetically weak bond she shared with her mate, but nothing happened. He blocked her just like he always does. She sighed and gave up trying. She slumped into her captor's hold and prayed to whoever would listen. If this was the way she supposed to go, please make it painless.