The Search for the Dead

Hey guys! This is something I wrote for a mythology contest a while back. No I did not win but I still think it's a pretty good piece. Let me know what you think and if I should keep writing! :) I love comments and votes! Enjoy reading! :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Search for the Dead

The wind whistled along with the racket made by the window shutters hitting the house. The moon hid behind the dark purple clouds and played peekaboo as the time passed. A wolf howl sounded in the far distance. A silhouette of a girl was seen in the cemetery. The crunch of her brown boots on the dead grass was the only sound heard in the area. She slowly looked around, fear radiating off her body. She let out a whimper as the squeak of a rat interrupted the silence. After realizing it was a small harmless animal, the girl let out a sigh of relief. She looked around, searching for something in particular. The darkness made it difficult to observe the surroundings. The girl paused, a look of thought on her face. She reached into her bag and pulled out a small flashlight. Turning it on, the light lit up her pathway. A smile appeared on the girl’s face as she proceeded, shining light on gravestones. A flash of lightning in the sky made the girl jump. She said something under her breath and continued searching. Another flash of lightning filled the sky. The girl, full of anger, turned her flashlight off. Lightning proceeded to flash and the girl ran out of the cemetery. Stomping her feet, she ran to a street light and touched the pole. A spark from the light quickly traveled down the pole, shocking the girl. She disappeared in the next second.

            A bright light blinded the view of the girl. The light dimmed enough so the human eye could see again. The girl found herself on a cloud, a giant, puffy, white cotton ball. The scene flooded with humans, or so they looked like humans. Electric moving pathways made it able for people to move from one place to another quicker than normal. The sky above was a light blue with a shade of dark blue and black lingering behind it. An electric screen about the size of a small TV flew by. Another screen approached the girl.

               “Zeus wishes to see you. Zeus wishes to see you.” The screen had a smiley face on it to which the girl scoffed. She knew why the powerful God wanted to see her. She stepped on a moving pathway and proceeded to make her way to the Grand Hall. The pathway ended at the door of a huge dome shaped building. The girl took a deep breath and opened the door.

               “How dare you disobey me!” Zeus’s voice boomed and echoed off the walls of the hall. The hall was filled with countless complex designs covering the walls. There was gold embedded in the designs. The marble floor was arranged in intricate patterns. The ceiling was covered with numerous paintings from the Greek mythological past. Giant thrones sat arranged in a circle. Above each throne was a symbol representing the designated God. At the head of the circle was a larger throne. On the throne sat Zeus, the God of Sky and Rain. His white beard shined by the light flowing through the windows. His blue eyes pierced through the girl’s soul. She knew she made a mistake. “There is a reason why I refuse to let you go to the Earth. You are forbidden.” Zeus continued, his deep baritone voice and precise diction was clearly heard.

                “But why? Why can’t I go to the earth?” The girl questioned.

                “Samantha Ann James.” Zeus said with a stern voice. “You are not here because we want to give you a second chance. You are here because of the mistakes my brother made.”

                 Samantha stomped her feet. “I was 15 when I died. Why must I suffer because you could not control your brother?”