Chapter 23 | Plots and Discoveries

Everyone was in the blue salon -- this kind of drawing room lavished in robin's egg blue wallpaper and white and gold accented furniture -- and I just wanted to say that I was not enjoying every second.

On top of that, Natalie went on and on about the wedding and how excited she was. This was the most vexing time of my life.

"Anthony and I thought it best we arrive here early to spend more time with the family and to help with the preparations for the ball," the witch explained graciously, crossing her legs in her seat, making them glow better than ever in the sunlight slanting through the floor-to-ceiling window.

"We know," the dowager snapped, thumping her cane on the white and blue Aubusson carpet to prove her point. "You already told us that before my grandson and his fiancée arrived."

If Natalie thought Lady Cutting was being incredibly rude to her, she masked it well; I had to give her credit for that because most people positively quivered in her presence. The model merely blinked. "Oh! I apologise, Lady C," she said with an rueful smile. "I just wanted to tell Michael and Keller again so that they'd know why we're here early."

"I know another reason for that," Emerson muttered, crossing her arms.

"What was that, Em?"

Emerson looked up with wide eyes. "Nothing really. Just talking to myself again. Silly me!" she giggled absently, waving a hand. "I was just thinking about what gown I ought to wear on Saturday. Engagement ball, you know."

"I'm sure you'll look absolutely smashing in anything, Em!" Natalie took a scone, neatly eating it without getting crumbs on her impeccable dress.

"Oh how nice," Lady Cutting crooned, "she eats!"

Again, the supermodel didn't look offended. "Of course I do," she said with a nod and a serene smile. Then her eyes suddenly widened as she brought her hand to her bee stung lips. "Who made the scones? I must ask the chef about the ingredients!"

The dowager raised an eyebrow, as did Emerson and I. "You bake?"

"Well...I'm trying." Natalie blushed prettily.

Ha! She's good.

"So!" Michael clapped his hands once, making the women look at him. "It's wonderful seeing you and Anthony again, Natty," he pontificated with a smile. "How's modeling going? I heard that you had a photo shoot with Kate Moss for Versace?"

"Yes!" She laughed, which made her face even more beautiful, if that were even possible. "Kate's such a cool girl. She's very much out there, you know? She's great."

"Got booked anywhere?"

She nodded. "Nicole Miller booked me for her eyewear line and I've shot ads for Orla Kiely. Oh! And this is great because Valentino booked me for his spring collection in a month. It's going to be massive."

Show off.

"That traitorous Italian coot!" I heard the dowager hiss, glaring evilly at Natalie. She, on the other hand, looked perfectly confused, shrugging when she didn't get whatever it was the dowager was flipping out about. "Why, I --"

"Okay!" Michael exclaimed, his voice rising a little bit. Only the ones near him could see the warning look he gave his grandmother. Lady Cutting surprisingly held her tongue, with her lips pursed.

"You said you got a surprise, Natty? An early wedding gift?" he asked his ex politely, raising his eyebrows. "What is it?"

Natalie actually glowed, leaning forward in her seat to grin at all of us sitting in the main area. "I got a shot for my friend, Marc Tuisson, an all-the-rage upcoming designer! Emerson, Keller, myself, and Frederick's fiancé...I haven't met her yet so I don't know her name --"