16 | Reflections Feelings and Dangerous Meetings

Last night had been a big whirl. Everything had gone totally crazy when Michael had tricked me into kissing him.

It had been a long one too.

I'd tried to push him away but he'd still pinned me into place, making the people hoot.

By the time we got home, I didn't speak to him because I was so embarrassed by everything. I mean, what was up with him? Okay, I get it that he liked me and all (which, really, still bothered me, especially because I was feeling...something for him too) but he didn't have to rub it in front of everybody!

"Why did you do that?" I demanded, as soon as I was able to set foot in the apartment.

"Well," Michael said grimly, "you might've thought those people believed you were my latest conquest but I was making certain they realised you were my fiancée. They all know I'm truly not in the habit of gazing adoringly at the girls, or holding up a whole bloody house while I watched you talk to other blokes," he admitted, rather direly. I held my breath.

"Keller, I was deliberately announcing our engagement."

"But...look. I know you like me and everything but why prove to everyone in that way?"

I didn't want to know his answer, yet I did at the same time.

Michael only muttered, "I didn't want those idiots panting after you."

He was jealous. Michael was actually jealous.

He didn't say anything more.

My mind drifted back to the night of the party. I didn't have to wait and suffer until the go signal was clear and I'd start acting. Everything was done perfectly by Michael himself, and all I had to do was go along with everything...he technically saved me from embarrassing myself.

And so began the start of our "relationship."

Michael had kissed me in public and I had no choice but to act and play along -- but I knew better. I liked it.

I liked him.

^^^^^

I sat down on the plush sofa in Michael's living room, a faint blush staining my cheeks as I thought of Michael's lips moving warmly upon mine, his hands carressing my back.

I thought about the crazy time we'd been together, beginning with the first time I'd seen him at the pier.

I had felt a surge of righteous indignation when I recalled the way he had used his sarcastic remarks on me after I'd embarrassed myself by sneezing on him and being all defensive, but now it dwindled away when I thought of what I'd done to deserve it.

A smile suddenly touched my lips as I recalled the night we were on the plane, and my flush deepened as I remembered his kisses before we fell asleep in his room, the night I was bethroted to him.

Michael liked and wanted me. And, I had to admit this, he was proud of me -- I'd seen that at Kimberly's party. He didn't love me, of course, but I knew now that he cared about me.

Sternly, I reminded myself of the arrogant and high-handed way he'd treated me before, but I shrugged the thought aside.

He was all those things and more, yet I cared about him too, and there was no point in denying it anymore merely so that I could keep my resentment and mutiny aflame.

I cared for him and if I hadn't been so obsessed with firing back at him with my equally cutting remarks, I would have realised all of that much sooner.