Syndicate

Today was like any other day. It was beautiful outside and here I was stuck behind my desk. It’s not that I hate my job, being a secretary and scheduler in a large marketing firm had its perks. My black coffee steam cheerfully in my Starbuck’s Fresh Roasted Cylon mug, which coincidently had Starbucks coffee in it, tells you a lot about me right there. It was my favourite dark roast, the Columbian beans wafted up my nose begging me to take a sip. Just as I raised the cup to my mouth the phone rang. It was one of those stereotypical office telephone tones that made you groan each time it rang. I did as I picked it up and said, in my best freak cheery phone voice. “Syndicate marketing, how may I direct your call?”

“ Hi who am I speaking with?”The voice on the other end of the phone was distinctly masculine and full of charm. Okayyy.

“You are speaking with Kisten,” I said in the continued phone voice. “How may I direct your ca-?”

“What is it Syndicate does?” He asked cutting me off. Oh great a rude journalist.  I gathered up the paper on my left that said Script on the upper left hand corner.

“We are a market agency.” My face was starting to hurt from the fake smile I was putting on. For the third time I asked “How may I direct your call.” This time a little more pointedly.

“So, what kind of marketing does the company do?”

I rolled my eyes “We provided services to some of the largest National brands in North America including Stella and Vertigo.”

“How do you market for a Soft drink company and a shoe company?”

Just as I was about to answer the elevator pinged. A man wearing a beige suite, baby blue shirt and aviators stepped out. In his hand was a naked revolver, and it was pointed directly at my head. Somewhere deep in me began to panic, I quashed it like a fly. “Tell you what how about I put you though to our media department, they will be able to answer all your questions, please hold the line.”

“Wait I-“

I hit the hold button and punched in the extension for the media department. I looked up at the man. “I’ll be with you in just a second.” Still he was holding the gun at my level. Why hasn’t he shot me? The phone crackled on the other line as it was picked up.

“Hi Janice, this is Kisten. I have a gentleman on the other line that has lots of questions for you.” I nodded as the 40 something year old agreed to take the call. “Thanks! Would you like any coffee? I was just about to go on break.” My eyes never left the man in front of me “Two cream one sugar? Ok I’ll be right up, thanks, see you soon.” I pressed the hold button again to put the put the journalist over then hung up the phone. I took off my headset and hit the button to disconnect me from the cue, not once but twice.

I rose slowly, straightening out my pencil skirt as I did. Continuing to move slowly I brought my hands up in a non threatening gesture. “What can I do for you?”

“You can turn around so I can disarm you.” I smile. Well this one isn’t stupid.

 I did as he asked revealing the butt of a Browning special tucked into the waist band of my skirt. “I really don’t know how to use it anyway.” I said innocently. I turned around again, just as he shoved the Browning into the front of his pants. I stepped around the front of the desk neatly clipping my step in my black two inch pumps. I gracefully sat down on the edge of the desk and leaned back on my arms, letting my legs dangle.  My white frilly blouse clung nicely to my upper body, showing off my curves. I was by no means tall, I was only 5’6”, but I had a nice body and wasn’t afraid to use it. “Anything else I can do for you?” I gave him my best impression of a porn star phone jockey.

“You can take me up to the main office.” He gestured with his gun.

I lifted my eyebrow. “Now why would you want to go up there?” I was hoping that he would think I was acting as a distraction; he took the bait grabbing my wrist and jerking me to my feet.

I wobbled as he got close to my face. “Let’s go I have an appointment, and I only have a brief window to speak to Jericho.”

“I don’t think so.” I said as the gun that was pointed at his temple exploded. I was splattered with blood and brains. How delightful! Thankfully I remembered to close my mouth this time, brains may be a delicacy but count me out. “Thank you for using a small calibre this time.” I’d also had to have bone fragments removed, you have no idea how sharp a bone shard can be, until they pull one out of your arm. .

“Good thing I took the stairs,” Lenny grinned taking my hands and waltzing me around the room, over the man’s body.  “You might have had a long wait for security.” I suppressed a gag, he smelled like a dumpster, probably used one for cover. The man liked to sneak up and strangle people, it was his M.O. Good thing the creep still carries a gun.

I titter nervously and jerked my hands back, ye gods he gave me the heebie geebies! Finally the big security men dashed into the room, with a blond female medic hot on their heels. As soon as I met with Lillian I started to shiver. Great I’m going into shock.

“Are you ok?” The tall leggy blond asked, touching my face.

I wanted to say yes, but I doubled over vomiting on her shoes. Yup shock. I let it all out with Lilly rubbing my back. I could hear Lenny snickering behind me saying “After five years, you think she wouldn’t be bothered by that!” In my defence it didn’t happen often, at least this time I didn’t faint.

I wiped my mouth as she threw a blanket over my shoulders, I managed- to say a weak “Sorry.”

“Hey it happens all the time.” She put an arm over my shoulder and pulled me close. She smelled great, for someone who was often up to her elbows in sterilizers and blood. Somehow she always smelled like lavender. I couldn’t help cuddling in  in closer as she rested her head on my blood soaked hair. “Let’s go get you cleaned up.” Her smile reached all the way to her blue eyes.

“Woo!” Lenny Hooted. “Kiss, Kiss, Kiss!” He chanted.

Without looking over behind me I flipped him off. By the way all that stuff about Syndicate being a marketing firm? Giant pile of horse shite.

A/N Ha! So what do you think? I apologize for the spacing, I'm uploading this on my phone which is being incredibly difficult! Im sorry It's only two pages >.o. If I get a few votes I will update! Im wrapped up in my other work right now.