Chapter One

Shannon sat on her bed, looking at her English notes aimlessly and desperately wishing for this hopeless day to end. Outside the sun was shining brightly, despite it being six in the evening. Shannon, unaccustomed to this kind of weather, found it unbearable. Her jersey stuck to her back unpleasantly and insects arrived through her window at the rate of two flies per minute. Then, to top it off, Shannon's friend Lilly called.

Shannon was lanky and tall with straw-like brown hair whereas Lilly's hair was blonde and voluminous, and she was blessed with curves in all the right places. Shannon found her and Lilly's relationship to be that of circumstance, and often found herself questioning that had their parents not been close friends would Lilly have even given her a second glance.

As soon as Shannon picked up the phone, Lilly was talking. "Shannon, major panic mo-mo right now." Another difference between Lilly and Shannon would be that Lilly was the type of person who said 'mo-mo'. I mean, really.

"I can sense the utter anxiety." Shannon confirmed sarcastically.

"We have an English test tomorrow!"

Shannon gasped theatrically.

"MY PARTY IS TOMORROW NIGHT"

Shannon was silent.

"Hello?" Lilly called down the phone. "Shannon, are you still there?"

"Sorry I had to leave down my phone for a minute to ensure I wouldn't break it when I had a literal heart attack at that shocking piece of news."

Lilly rolled her eyeballs so hard it hurt her head. Literally. "Don't be so crass, Shannon, it's un-becoming of you. I need you to give me notes on Shakespeare."

Shannon stared at her mobile phone for a few moments before speaking again. "Shakespeare?"

"Shakespeare."

"Why do you want notes on Shakespeare?"

"There's an English test tomorrow."

"... ENGLISH TEST IS NOT CODE FOR SHAKESPEARE, LILLY. ITS A GRAMMAR TEST."

Lilly whistled loudly. "Someone's cranky. It doesn't matter anyway, I'm good at English. I'm kind of an expert, actually!" She laughed at her own joke for a while. "Are you coming to my birthday party?"

Shannon stared at the crack in her roof and, not for the first time in her life, wished the roof would fall on her. "...your birthday party."

"Yes."

"... Your party is on Friday."

"Yes."

"And today is Thursday. Which means tomorrow is Friday."

"Traditionally, yes."

Shannon chewed her thumbnail. Lilly had a party at least every month and every year Shannon turned up to one, the party held for Lilly's birthday, which her parents dragged her to and from.

Shannon nodded. Upon realisation that Lilly couldn't see her she said, "Yeah, sure. I'm coming."

"Perf, see you at school tomorrow!" Lilly said enthusiastically.

"If I don't kill myself before then!" Shannon said just as enthusiastically.

Her phone clicked, the line went dead, and Shannon picked up her notes again.