//Prologue - Unfinished Business//

I remember the day like it was yesterday. The nerves eating my stomach, and the amount of coffee sip’s I had on a empty stomach. Everyone had tried to get me to eat, but I was afraid if I did I would vomit all over the stage. And, that would be nerve-racking. 

“Just eat some toast, Willa” They had said. “Or the crowd will be able to hear your stomach rumble”

Of course, everyone tried to make me eat but Averie, my sister who always knew what to do to make me feel better in times of crises. She never gave me what I wanted, but what I needed. I like to think I did the same to her. 

My teacher had instructed me not to practice that night, and get a good sleep. Which, I had done, although I hadn't fallen asleep until one. But, in the early hour’s of the morning, my whole family was awoken by the lulling sound of my violin, drifting through the house like the air. My dad’s had stayed in bed, as well had Eldon probably hoping they could have more energy to keep me calm during the day. But, Averie had come in. Rubbing her eye’s sleepily, and running her finger’s through her brown hair, with purple streaks. I had played for her all morning, until she deemed it time to get ready. 

Growing up, my sister and I had never been those twins who are polar opposite’s, with the nice one and the bad one, or those twin’s who fight constantly for attention. We had been close, for she was the only friend I had. My social skill’s were adorable, I was told, and could woo a person into a coma. I never really used those skills, for I was always practicing.

I started listening to the violin first, and watching our neighbour practice from my bedroom window. Then, I had gone into the music room at school, walked right up to the violin like I would not be intimidated, sat down and copied the movement’s I had seen my neighbour doing. My music teacher had almost passed out. 

So, that morning, Averie had pulled up my deep brown hair, into a sophisticated bun and put in some light makeup that brought out my pishish brown eye’s, than helped me get into the white and grey dress I was wearing for the audition. I had never been one of those normal people, I liked the stand out in the crowd and be remembered. 

“Willa” Averie had said as we left the house for the art centre. “You will do perfect” and because she had said that, I knew I would. 

Something else had been bugging me that day, but I had ignored it and strode onto the audition stage, gracefully and with poise. Everyone had been quiet, the judges watching me with a sense of curiosity as of what this sixteen year old girl with dark pink eyes could produce. My eye’s hand lingered on the door that I knew behind was my family, then had began to play. I wasn’t perfect, and I barely heard it. I was too busy pouring my heart and soulinto the movement, the sound and the feeling. Averie always said she saw whatever I was playing, she saw the hot cross bun’s when I played the little tune for Eldon, or the great mountain’s when I played the deep music. People had told me to ignore the large audience, but I needed no help in that. To me and my violin, we were the only one’s in the room. After, I had finished two pieces, the whole audience had erupted in claps, making me almost fall out of my posed position.

“Thank you, Miss Van Der Mariel” The judge had said.

I had nodded, and walked gracefully of the stage, and right into my sister’s arm’s who had been watching me from the side stage. She had congratulated me, and never answered my question on how she got through the door and past the security. 

“That was amazing” Averie had said, gliding me outside, and into the arm’s of my other family, who looked to Averie for signs I did good or bad, although they had been on the side of the stage. “Now, whenever Mr Burn calls you mad for not doing your math’s homework, you can say; ‘That’s because I was getting a career, Mr Burn, which is more than you can say”

As a treat to my starving stomach, our parent’s decided to take us to the nearest Mexican Diner. When, we had walked down the street, Averie’s ex boyfriend had appeared. My father’s were not happy. But, she waved them off, saying,

“This is my problem. He only want’s to talk. I will meet you inside in a minute”

I had been proud my sister was sticking it too the man, and heard my family inside. We had sat in the back, next to a funny looking donkey that Eldon liked. We waited ten minute’s for Averie, but she never came. At this point, both my dad’s were fuming, with worry and anger. Me? I was just scared. 

Then, a minute later we got a call. I knew it was something bad as soon as the colour ran out of my dad’s face. He had ran out of the diner, me, my other dad and Eldon close on his heels. We made it too the hospital in time to see Averie be accepted in surgery. He ex boyfriend had beat her up, and we weren't there to stop it. At this time I did vomit, from horror, nerves and the lack of food that I had had for twenty four hours. I only vomited goo, it was disgusting. Averie never made it out of surgery awake, but not dead either. 

She was in a coma, and she still is to this day, and I imagine forward. 

Those day’s were the worst of my life, I began to become a permanent resident of that hospital, sleeping in the chair beside my sleeping Averie, holding her hand, hoping one day it was hold back, instead of lay lifelessly in my palm. I remembered her blue lips, pale skin and hair that was spread out around her head, it looked like a lunar eclipse. My father’s had kissed my forehead, and held my hand, and repeatedly told me everything would be okay and she would wake up. 

My name is Willa Valentina Van Der Mariel and I was seventeen year’s old. My life has become a waiting game. I want to grow up and be a violinist’s and play for people around the world. That was my plan;

1)  Get into Juilliard, and become a famous Violinists.

2)  Learn to walk across a flat surface without tripping over.

3)  Have Averie wake up, and come back home safe.

4)  Get over my undying crush for someone who doesn’t even know I exists.

Neither of them included falling for a bad boy.

Again.

That wasn’t part of the plan, at all.