2153 A.D.

I never thought it would come to this. I knew it would happen of course... I just never expected it to come so fast, to happen in my lifetime.

It's year 2153 A.D., September 5th. What should be a normal Wednesday morning is a living hell: the pump station sustaining all life in the city finally gave out, and there's a mass exodus of the city's population headed for the evacuation ports.

"John, we have to go."

Emma. It seems like she has always been there for me. We've been together for a just over a year, with our big day planned for May of next year. To think that we might not make it that far... Let's not go there.

"I know, I just need to..." I trailed off and focused my efforts in rummaging through the old chest that my mother had left me before she passed.

"Really John, what could possibly be this important?" I could hear her voice bordering on hysterics as more and more citizens flowed past outside.

"Just a minute, just..." A distinct glimmer caught my eye from within the box as I dug through.

"Yes," I whispered to myself, grabbed it up, and dropped it into my pocket.

"Come on!" Emma grabbed my arm and pulled me towards the front door. We both strapped on our emergency gas masks - supplied to all citizens in June - and merged with the horde outside.

The sight was surreal: hundreds of masked citizens, just like us, all rushing away from the only place we could call home. In the crowd I saw in their eyes looks of panic, fear, and unknowing.

There was no unity in this group. No, each and every one of us knew all too well that the evac ports have a limited capacity. The prevalent goal in mind for each individual was to reach the ports and get aboard before the guy beside you to assure their own survival.

The sound of every step filled my ears. My own, Emma's, and all of those from the rushing crowd around me.

No, not around me; in front of me. Just now did I take a glance at the crowd. The crowd we are at the very back of.

My heart sank and I felt a knot in my stomach. The rear of the pack; will we make it? I couldn't bear the thought, so I just focused on moving. Just keep moving and everything will be fine, I told myself.

I could tell that we were near to the port as the buildings on each side of us thinned out. As we passed by the last of the homes and facilities, The horizon opened up for me to survey the array of evacuation ports.

Maximum capacity; maximum capacity; maximum capacity. The words displayed on the screens above the ports struck me with the realization of just how late we really were. Outside the filled ports were small groups of the unfortunate who wouldn't make it. Some stood in disbelief, others weeping on the ground, and a few desperately arguing and pleading with the officers stationed there to no avail.

I turn my attention to the last available port, designated for the western quarter of the city. Up ahead each will-be boarder is scanned by an officer so as to be sure a citizen from another quarter doesn't board.

Slowly, ever so painfully slowly, we approach the gate, tension building with each minute. A woman from the east quarter is rejected and pushed aside. She cries out, pleads, to be let through. I sympathized with her, thinking of how it must be to know that you're not going to live to see tomorrow.

My thoughts were fortunately cut short when I realized we were finally at the gate. We were going to make it after all.

The officer at the gate spoke, "Capacity for one more."

To think that a single sentence could shatter one's hopes and dreams.

Emma turned to me, a distraught look on her face. She knew what I was thinking straight away.

"John-" I cut her off before she could protest.

"If I can't leave this place with you, then I can't leave at all."

I reached into my pocket and withdrew a coin-like object on a chain and placed it into Emma's hand.

"Your mother's necklace?" She choked the words out through tears.

"Semper memento," I recited the Latin phrase engraved on the necklace. "Keep this with you always, and I'll be with you in spirit. Now go."

The officer ushered her forward and locked the gate. She glanced back, and I gave a final reassuring nod.

The warning sirens went off and red lights shone over us unlucky enough to be left behind. The ground beneath me shook and a blanket of smoke poured forth from each of the four ports.

Mother always did say I'd be late to my own funeral, I thought, watching as my only chance for survival began to lift off the ground.

I followed the western pod with my eyes, knowing that Emma was looking back. Up, up...

My final hours were spent with those stranded alongside myself. I wasn't afraid. I knew that my memory would live on with Emma.

-End-