03

*2 weeks later*

"So you just multiply it like that and you get the answer." I point on the paper and look at Jack.

His eyebrows are pulled tightly together in concentration. His jaw is so tight, all of his vision focused on the paper in front of him. I watch as his eyes search the paper and am a bit thrown off as I become more attracted to him.

"Yeah," realization hits his brown eyes. Brown. Like mine.

I watch how each of his fingers grips onto his thin pencil and he does the next problem perfectly by himself. "Yup." I say.

He takes one more nod, immediately starting to put his things in his bag without making any eye contact with me.

"So you get it? Great." My voice shakes at the awkward sentence and I mentally punch myself in the face

I start to throw my stuff in my bag like him while my cheeks burn from embarrassment at the fact I tried to keep a conversation, but failed.

I get up and head towards the door while his footsteps trail behind me.

He reaches his arm over my shoulder and pushes the door, it completely catches me off guard for a few moments and my mind flashes. Do I thank him? Will he say you're welcome? That'd be awkward if-

"Are you going to go?" He snaps. My skin jumping and I move my feet.

"S-sorry." I stutter, mentally punching myself for a second time.

As soon I step foot outside I see my moms car. I instantly catch her eyes lock on Jack. They widen.

She lifts her finger and bends it towards her, signaling for me to go to her.

"I know what you're going to say." I cut her off before she speaks, shutting the car door.

"Don't even stand by trash like that." She informs me loud enough so that Jack can hear, my eyes widen slightly at the harsh remark and I look at him. His head is down as he walks, so I can't see his face.. Emotionless, probably, like it always is.

"I wasn't talking to him." I say to my mom, and I realize this is the exact situation I had with Grace.

It's one thing to prove something to my friend, but to my mom? I don't know but something about it bugs me.

She takes a deep breath of annoyance before pulling out of the parking lot. I tell her to drop me off at Mallory's.

My house is big but small at the same time. There are always so many people going in and out that it's compacted and I feel so mad when I'm there, like I'm going to blow if I hear one more person walk in my dads office or hear my mother's friends laugh and sip wine in the kitchen that happens to be right under my bedroom.

I just walk into my best friends house. I know no one is home besides her so I stride up the stairs to her room.

Her eyes meet mine, "Hey." She greets and I take a big, relieved sigh before sitting on her bean bag chair. Her grin widens, "rough tutoring day?"

"Like always." I roll my eyes.

"I can't believe you guys haven't even warmed up to each other." She says, referring to the other few times we've hung out.

I go with Mal, Mal wants to hangout with Jack Johnson, Sammy and Jack are always with him, so we end up being with each other, but not once have we said a nice word to each other or really interacted with each other, and it pisses me off.

It's just, why can't he talk to me? Without having a problem with me? I talk to Sam, and he talks to me. But Jack completely avoids me, like he has nothing to do with me. I have no idea why it gets under my skin but it does.