Chapter 1: The Beginning

Valyrian Academy: School of the Gifted

Corium Legacies Series: Book One

By, Laila Winters

Chapter One- The Beginning

The cool, moist fog loomed across the vast dark forest. The temperature suddenly drops immensely, as a shiver creeps down my spine. Images started flashing across my mind- blood, chaos, the smell of smoke, and dead bodies. Bodies that covered every inch of space, death hanged in the air. This horrid scene soon become realistic as it formed right in front of my eyes!  My animal instinct shouted ‘RUN!’, and that was exactly what I done. My feet speeded across the uneven ground; my arms helplessly cleared the path from branches and such. The adrenaline rush raced through my bloodstream, and I felt my fears before the screams. Death was standing in front of me, leaning against a fallen tree. Darkness soon swept around my body, suffocating me. My lungs inhaled and exhaled with such difficultly, that tears streamed down my face and my vision blurred.

“You are such a disappointment, Miss Serena Hathaway.” Death said with sincerity. His head shake back and fro with sadness, as if he expected me to do something extraordinary. I wished the same thing, but I felt entirely helpless against the darkness.

The darkness started taking away my last strand of strength, until a bright light flourished from my palms. It was a blanket of pure, refined pleasure. Wrapping me up and promising everything would be right in the world. And then everything just… went blank.

I woke up, with strands of long, dark hair sticking to my forehead. Sweat covered my whole face, as I was trying desperately to catch my breath. Light danced across my room, burning my eyes, indicating it was morning. My alarm clock read: 8:30 a.m. I ran to the bathroom to the safety of water. The bathroom’s mirror portrayed a beautiful, frightened 18 year old girl, who was freakishly tall- 5’10”. Her blue-green eyes glistened with tears, struggling from falling onto her rosy cheeks. My hands shook with fear, following with my whole body. My sapphire necklace hung loose from my neck. This is me, Serena Annemarie Hathaway, daughter of James and Veronica Hathaway. After drinking a cup full of water, washing my face and brushing my teeth, my state of mind and body cooled off. These dreams have been occurring these past weeks, and they get worse by the minute.

“Serena Annemarie Hathaway, I want you to get dressed and be downstairs in 10 minutes!” demanded my psychotic, control-freak of a mother, whom happens to be a noble member of the ‘Corium Legacies’. What makes this much better is that my father is a noble member too. But, he is a more laid- back than my unattainable mother. But when she wants something done, she will get it done. That is how she and my father killed Aleman - Corium Legacy Society’s most hated former member. Aleman used to be the president of Corium Legacies- which are a secret, elite group of powerful, immortal humans who were born on a planet called Elotipia, but that was many generations ago. The Corium Legacies have now adapted to Earth’s environment. Each Corium Legacy has a special power/gift.  Back then, Aleman appeared to be the perfect leader, but madness in full swing started taking control of him, until he thought he could destroy the society he once formed.

The reason why my mom is hyperventilating is because today is ‘The Day’, which means I have to take an evaluation to see what power/gift I obtain, if  I do have a power/gift. In Valyrian Academy’s elementary and middle school, the students are to just learn everything about Corium Legacy’s history plus the basic education required like Science, Math, English, etc. Soon enough, right before high school, students begin to take the evaluation.  After the evaluation, the school year will start immediately in Valyrian Academy: The School of the Gifted. My mother’s power is super senses- sight, touch, taste, smell, hearing plus intelligence and speed/strength. My father’s power is electricity –