High school: The hardest test of my life

For the majority of students at my age, there are always splendid memories of the first day as high school students. However, mine was absolutely not. Sometimes, the memory of the first day in high school still haunts and overflows my mind. I never knew that the day in my dream was also the day pushing me to hell.

I had passed the harshest exam in my life to study in the high school of my dream. Nevertheless, I was put in a class, which was for students having the lower entry scores while I should have been in a class for gifted students. I admit that I am not a smart kid but the result I achieved in the exam was great for what I had paid, which was my patience, my dream, and my efforts. However, later, I was transferred to a class for gifted students.

It was a mercy that I did not have to ride my bicycle to school at seven in a freezing morning because my father gave me a drive. It was an old school with a huge front yard and a boundless field of grass in the back. All the almond trees were lined up on two side of the walk path as if they were saying hello to me. A feeling of excitement along with nervousness covered my mind.

When I went to the class, the first one I met was the head teacher. She was a middle-aged woman looking strict with her glasses on and wrinkles on her forehead.

The head teacher asked me to wait outside for other students to show up. Because all the students and the teacher had met and introduced themselves to each other on another day, I had to introduce myself as a new student. Boys and girls dressed in white uniform passed me and I could hear some girls talking about another attractive boy and some guys taking about a football match. A feeling of being a fish out of water crept into my mind. If only I had been able to hide somewhere!

After an hour of waiting, I finally showed up and introduced myself to other classmates. There was a quiver in my voice while I was speaking in front of 56 students:

“Good morning everyone. My name is Quang and I have just been transferred from another class.” I spoke clearly and dignifiedly.

“Oh my Gosh! I feel overwhelmed.” I heard my mind itself speaking. The head teacher added while putting on her glasses:

“And his entry score was 57 out or 60.”

Immediately, every one stared at me. No one clapped. No one smiled. Time stopped for a moment.

Then I was asked to have a seat at a corner as our classroom was full. Some girls and boys turned their heads around and looked at me. They started gossiping and I could here such things like: “He looks like a ball. He is so fat.” or “He is no way a gifted student. I really got 59.”

I found myself not holding my head high. I looked down and stared at the floor, listening to all the judgments about how ugly I was and how stupid I looked. My face turned red as if all my blood moved to my head. As a consequence, all my thoughts were twisted as ropes and distracted me from the first lessons.

Life might have closed the front door but it opened a window for me. Suddenly, a gentle voice brought me to the Earth:

“Don’t worry, you are not the only one not to go to the party. I am not going either.” – smiled the guy siting next to me.

Wearing an old pair of glasses with a curly hair, he reminded me of Albert Einstein. We talked for the whole break and he really understood me. We shared the same taste in music and books. At that time, I did not know that guy would become my best friend.

Taking a bus to go home after class time, I told my parents that everything was good but at least I made a new friendship, which later I could rely on. Now, when I look back, I am glad I did not let difficulties destroy me. I used it as fuel to drive me, to dream bigger and work harder. I was not invited to parties but I did not regret because thanks to that, I could stay at home to study and graduated as an excellent student.