Chapter 1

*Malan*

The sun of twilight shone in my eyes as I walked down a beaten path in the rustic forest. My steps were calm but confident as I took in my surroundings. I made myself prepared for anything, in case something should attack. The sounds of insects and birds filled the air, but suddenly I heard a shriek.

What was that? I thought. I stood completely still for several seconds, but I heard nothing. But then, there it was again: that horrible screeching sound. My feet pounded the earth as I raced to towards the direction the sound had come from. That was when I spotted it: the Glundean lizard in all its glory. It had wings of a dragon, but the body of a lizard and its spine was lined with red spikes. Its mossy green color blended in with the foliage and all I could see was its red hooked tail whipping through the air.

After taking in the sight of this unwelcomed foe, I noticed a young girl in a dark maroon tunic struggling to climb a tree. She cried out in fear as the giant lizard followed her up the tree.

I whipped out my swords from their sheaths and stabbed one into the underbelly of the lizard. As I went to pull out my sword, the lizard’s tail slashed around, gashing open my left arm. I dropped the sword as the lizard recoiled. I noticed the young girl quickly jump down from the tree and pick up the sword that I had dropped. We fought silently side by side, using each other as a distraction, until the Glundean lizard finally dropped to its death.

A couple seconds of silence reigned until I dropped to my knees in pain. I clenched my left arm as the blood seeped onto my hand. The girl knelt by my side and said, “Here. Let me help you. It’s the least I can do.” She pulled a bandage out of a pouch attached to her hip. She wrapped it until it was taut. Slowly the bleeding subsided.

“Thank you,” I said in a deep voice.

“You’re welcome,” she said, “My name is Rayla. What’s yours?”

“Malan.”

“What are you doing out here alone? It’s pretty dangerous.”

“I should be asking you the same. It’s especially dangerous for a young lady to be out here on her own.”

“I got a tip that the old codger who stole my sword is in the nearby town.”

“It looks like you could use some assistance,” I noted.

“No… not really. I can handle myself,” she said and flipped her hair back defiantly.

“Well I’m heading the same direction. We might as well stick together. Who knows what else could be out here.”

“Well if you put it that way,” Rayla said with a shrug, “I guess it makes more sense to go together.”  

*Rowan*

“What you do mean you didn’t find it!?” I heard my father yell. I was crouched down in my preferred eaves-dropping spot. It was behind a huge statue that was right in front of one of my favorite secret passageways. Needless to say, it was easy to enter and exit without being noticed; the room was rather large.

“We have to find it before someone from Alisar does! If it gets into their hands, my plot will be ruined!”

Father you old coot, I thought.

“Sir! We have just been given a lead that may guide us to the violet crystal!” one of my father’s many commanders said as he rushed into the room.

Another man came in after the first. “Sir, I have another piece of information,” he said and bowed out of respect, “I have heard from a reliable source that the Alisarian princess has gone missing!

I shook my head. Maybe she’s as tired of this stupid power battle as I am, I thought. I was tired of listening now, and decided to take my leave. I entered the passageway as quietly as possible and I was out of sight in a matter of seconds.

It smelled musty and wet, but I was used to it. Besides, it wasn’t like they were a very popular place for people to hang around. I took the familiar branch to the left and exited the tunnels and entered my room, which was very convenient.

I looked out my window and studied the landscape around. It was nearing summer; the grass was still green and the trees were filled with leaves and were starting to bear fruit.

I’m so tired of only getting one view. This kingdom has nothing left to offer me anymore, I thought. I snatched up my leather saddle bag and started stuffing my belongings inside. Even for a prince, I really didn’t have many things that meant anything to me. I picked up my most precious belonging; a painting of my deceased mother. She had made my father a good ruler, but ever since she had died from the Bubonic Plague, he had become more and more cold, heartless even. All he cared about was power.

I can’t forget Eron, I thought. I raced down the hallway, trying not to be seen with my fully loaded saddle bag. I finally made it to the spiral staircase that led to the dungeon. The way was only lit by torches, and as I descended, the smell of man filth and must increased. Rats squeaked at my feet, but I paid them no heed; I headed straight to the second to last cell where my best friend Eron was being held.

Eron was from Alisar, our supposed rival kingdom. He had been captured for trespassing on Omakaric land. Because my father viewed Alisar as his rival, he imprisoned any who were from that kingdom, as if they were prisoners of war. After hearing of my father’s plot to seize the seven crystals, I grew afraid of his intentions. As the days went on, I trusted him less and less. One day, I had wondered down to the dungeon and met Eron. We quickly became friends and I visited him every day since.

“Rowan, what are you doing here you old fool?” Eron said with a grin.

“Just here to bust you out, that’s all,” I teased back.

“Eh you promise me that all the time.”

“Well this time I mean it,” I said seriously.

“It’s about time! I’m sorry to say so, but rats really aren’t the best company.”

I looked around cautiously, but the guard was no where to be seen. I pulled a knife out of my leather boot and picked the lock. I heard it click and the door swung open.

“Freedom!” Eron nearly yelled.

“Would you shut up? We’re not out of here yet,” I warned him.

We quickly headed down the narrow path back towards the stairs, but just before we got there, the guard returned.

“What do you think you’re doing?” the corpulent man retorted.

“Uh, my father requested an audience with this here prisoner,” I answered quickly. I saw that Eron quickly played along and acted as if his hands were bound behind his back.

“Oh, sorry sir. Continue.”

The guard walked on by and once we were on the stairs, I turned to Eron and whispered, “That was too close! Thanks for getting the hint and playing along.”

“Hey, what are friends for?”

We managed to make it the rest of the way out of the castle and over to the stables without being caught. I made a beeline to my horse Ambler’s stall. Ambler was just about the prettiest horse I had ever seen; he was a Lustiano stallion with buckskin coloring and black dappling over his back and haunches. His face was flat and noble with eyes of ebony.

“How’ve you been boy?” I said to him as I stroked his nose.

“So do I get to pick?” Eron asked from down the hall.

“The choice is yours my friend.” I stepped out of the stall to get Ambler’s tack. As I walked down the center isle, I almost laughed when I saw Eron standing in Sable’s stall. The horse was a large Friesian stallion, pitch black too.  “Come grab his tack,” I shouted while I kept walking.

We gathered the saddles and bridles and tacked up. I hoisted myself into the saddle and Eron did the same.

“Let’s blow this castle down!” Eron said and laughed.

“Let’s ride,” I said, excitement bubbling in my stomach. I was finally going to be free; now if only we could get away without being caught.