Chapter 1

Themba Ndlovu was born on the 14 May 1953, in the Eastern Cape village of Matatiele, South Africa. He was born into a poor family, his mother had left to go work in the city and his father died while working in the mining town of Johannesburg before he was born. He, along with his siblings were  raised by their maternal grandmother Alice. When Themba was 18 years old he headed to the mountains to participate in the rite of passage known as Ulwaluko/Initiation (male circumcision). The teachings were tough and rigorous, this is were Themba met his best friend, Anathi. Anathi was of royal blood, his father, King Athandwa of the Hlanthi tribe had sent his  son to the mountains so he could take over the throne one day. You see in the Xhosa tradition, Ulwaluko is seen as a ritual intended to teach young boys of the responsibility of being a man. Themba and Anathi spent a lot of their month in the mountains together, they had made an unbreakable bond like brothers. The village rejoiced when the initiates returned from the village, ululating, singing praises and celebrated. The men came down from the mountain in song, King Athandwa spoke to all the initiates about their roles as men and their responsibilities. He told his son, Anathi to stand up and declared that he will be the future king as the village broke in clan praises. Anathi looked towards Themba and smiled, Themba nodded and whispered, " My king" under his breath. As all the initiates heading to feast in their respective homesteads, the thought of going back home was something that Themba did not look forward to. He arrived home to find his grandmother and two little brothers excited to see him, they had made chicken for him, Themba thought of all the homes were cows and sheep were slaughtered for the initiates but decided not to dwell on it. ''Unfortunately, this is all we can afford, my son." , said his grandmother. Themba stood up and hugged his grandma, "This is more than I could've asked for, thank you, mama".

As years went by, Anathi and Themba grew even more closely, the king was very fond of Themba and usually commented on how he was a good influence on his son. "I have to leave soon, I need to find a job in the city so I can support my family." , Themba said as he looked over the perfect landscape as the cows grazed. Anathi looked to him in disbelief, " You want to go to the city? I've heard how the city swallows people and how they never return". "I know you're talking about my mother and I understand your concern but that's the only way to look after my  grandma and the boys. I mean it's not all of us who grew up in a wealthy family and are promised the throne." ,said Themba. "Oh, so now it's my fault that you're poor? My father works really hard to look after this kingdom and it's people, so I won't let his honour be disrespected by a fatherless man." Themba shoved Anathi and a scuffle broke out, both fought with all their might but neither was willing to give up. The fight was broken by a sheep herder who was nearby, "This is how boys settle their disputes, men sit down and talk calmly about their differences. You two must be ashamed of yourself!", he said. The two young men looked at each other and apologized with their faces down. They sat down and talked about how the sheep herder was right. " I don't want you to leave, I'm sure I can ask my father to look after you and your family." Anathi said. " Thank you very much but I wouldn't be a man if I were to  profit from another man's sweat." said the proud Themba. They spoke for hours until the sun set on the beautiful plains of Matatiele. The following morning Themba grabbed the last bit of money he had, packed his bags and said goodbye to his grandmother and little brothers. He wore his father's suit, the only thing that reminded him of the man he never saw. His grandmother made him promise to come back one day and to look after himself in 'the evil city'. He walked to the bus stop and stopped when he heard his name from a distance, it was Anathi. " You didn't think I'd let you go off to the city all alone now did you?", Anathi said with a suitcase in his hand.  Themba had never been so surprised in his life, "What about the kingdom? Your father? The throne?" he exclaimed. " I never wanted to be king, all I wanted to do was grow up like any other child. My father will survive, I left a note for him.", Anathi explained. The first bus stopped and Anathi rushed to get inside as Themba was still shell shocked. "Are you coming, or are you gonna wait another 5 hours for the next one?", Anathi asked while stepping into the bus. Themba rushed inside to start the next chapter in his young life.