Middle Earth book

Times were tough for my people. I am the king of my people; King Axoez Halaerin is my name. We had the smallest area of the land that the lord Raen'ko gave us, and it was really tiny; we could barely fit all that we needed in here. We had a small area of land which was bordered on one side by the ocean, which gave us some drinking water and barely any food. And on the other side we were bordered by a fort; which was twenty yards away. We could not get the people in the fort to move because the captain of the camp was the lord’s son.

                He could be a real pest at some times, scratch that—most of the time. He is always demanding things from my kingdom because it’s “striving” and we “have enough resources to spare.” But even without the royal pest at our heels every few hours, we still would be barely scraping by.

                *Thunk thunk thunk* my golden troll doorknocker banged.

                ‘Urgh’ I thought, ‘It’s probably the runt. What does he want this time?’ But instead I said, “Who is it?”

                “Aw, c’mon. You should know my voice by now!” An annoyingly high-pitched voice called through the thick oak doors.

                “And I was right...” I grumbled to myself. “Come in Cur'ni.” I said through gritted teeth wondering what he wanted this time.

                He swung the doors wide open, nearly busting them off their hinges-again. I wanted to say something, but if I did, he would only go tell the lord and I would be in a lot of trouble thanks to the dirty rat.

                “I come,” he said over-dramatically, “bearing news! I...have permission...to take...as much wood and fish as I need for my people!”

                I wanted to say something, or even hit him over the head. But I knew I couldn’t. It took all my will just to get up and follow him, taking all that he asked—more like demanded really—for.

                By the time he left, with many great frowns while he was there and small cheers when he left, we had just over half our resources left; and we started off with barely any wood.

                By the time he left the castlegrounds, there was a large crowd-almost the entire town-there all murmuring. I turned around and everyone who was in the crowd, even the people who were talking, were staring at me; expectant of me, they were bug-eyed.

                Finally I couldn’t stand the staring anymore. “What?” I asked, booming my voice out to the crowd.

                The crowd rose into a huge wave of noise. I couldn’t make anything out. “Silence!” I shouted. “One person please speak at a time.”

                A man, Ilazor Reuter by name, ran up to me and said, in his naturally loud voice, “We do not like the lord’s son and how he takes from us what we need! We want you to stick up for your people, for us, for what we all believe in. You should go up to the lord, or at least his son, and demand that he leaves us alone! Because if he keeps taking our resources, we will surely, quickly die out! Then that little brat will take over all of our land that we took so long to create, harvest, build, make families, and keep a nice society!”

                That really riled the crowd. It started off with a swell of agreement, then it led to just a mass amount of noise. There was so much noise that if noise was even just a light gas, it would be too heavy for the city to keep. And then—oh no, people started leaving and coming back with weapons of all sorts, torches, pitchforks, swords, spears, and to make it stranger, sticks. I was looking at the mob; it looked like a very stereotypical mob, the kind that is told in fairy tales.